Hide proxies

Started by Carlo Didier, April 02, 2019, 10:12:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlo Didier

Maybe I don't understand the concept or I just can't find the right topic in the help.

A friend of mine wants to work with JPGs as proxies for his raw files (I use DNGs with embedded previews, therefore I don't need that).
I defined the relation with use as proxy. That works fine. Now he doesn't want to see the JPGs, only the raw files. Is that possible?

To explain in detail:
Database contains images in various raw formats, jpg, tiff and psd. JPGs with the exact same name as the raw files are set to be visual proxies (derived JPGs get something appended to the name). The JPGs are correctly used as proxies to display the raw files, but they are also visible themselves as seperate files which he doesn't want. He only wants to see the raw files and any derived files.

Mario

QuoteNow he doesn't want to see the JPGs, only the raw files. Is that possible?

No. THE JPEG files must be in the database to be valid as versions. IMatch cannot used external images from somewhere to represent images indexed by the database.
I recommend moving the JPEG files in a sub-folder (so you won't see them when you look at the RAW files). That's the standard way to handle this.
Or enable a file format filter in the filter panel which hides JPEG files.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Mees Dekker

I suppose the jpgs are versions of the original RAW files and in the database?

You can easily do this by applying the filer "Hide versions"  in the filter panel (see screenshot 1).

However, in case this also hides the derived jpgs (when these are also versions of the RAW master), you could then "hide masters" and invert the filter. See screenshot 2.

Carlo Didier

@Mario: I will propose the solution to put the proxies in a subfolder to him.

@Mees: These are not versions (well he doesn't consider them versions, as they might be either default develops of the raws or just the JPGs from the camera, as he is shooting raw+jpeg). He just wants to see only the "developed" version of the raw as proxy, but not the "identical" jpeg, which I can understand.

ubacher

Do I understand this correctly:

There is a raw file with several corresponding jpg files. Your friend wants to see the thumbnail of the "last" i.e. edited image
as the thumbnail of the raw file.

I would go for a naming convention which does not consider the original jpg as a version.  Only a_edited.jpg is recognized as a version of a.raw,
a.jpg is not.
Or, alternatively, separate the wanted and the unwanted jpgs by folder.

Would it not be easier in this case to just look at jpgs and hide the raw files? Would be easier to handle.

sinus

What about stacking?
There you could see only the last or the wished jpg, the rest ist "hidden" in the stack.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Carlo Didier

Thank you both for your suggestions.

@ubacher: His naming is like this: Original raw "filename.nef" or any other raw format. Then the corresponding JPG which should be used as a visual proxy would be "filename.jpg". This could be by default the JPG from the camera but could also be a JPG developed from the raw file (he uses CaptureOne).
Versions would then be named "filename_a.jpg" or "filename_b.tif", etc. So, JPGs with the exact same name as the raw are the visual proxies (like the embedded previews in my DNG files in my own workflow), Any files (in any format) with something appended are versions.

@Markus: stacks are not an option because the raw files can be part of another stack (like a stack of source images for a pano or focus stacking).