Search results in separate panes?

Started by kirk, September 14, 2017, 02:09:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kirk

I am using 3.6 version and find having  search results in  separate windows very convenient.    I can switch in between several search results  and normal categories/folders  very quickly.

Can I somehow recreate same behaviour?

Mario

IMatch applies the file window search bar (toolbar above the file window) and the results of the Filter Panel to the current scope.
This allows you to easily control where to search - you search in what you see in the file window. No need to separate windows anymore.

IMatch only uses separate result windows for special search functions like "duplicate files" or "visually similar files". All else is much easier to handle in the file window.
IMatch still has separate views for Folders, Categories, Collections and the Timeline. When you use the search bar, it applies to a specific file window only (e.g. only the file window in the Media & Folders view). The filter panel works globally, on whatever file window is currently visible.

All this gives you a lot of control over the search and filter functions you have available in IMatch.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

kirk

I am struggling with having same level of convenience in newer iMatch.  With having search results in same pane    I can't  switch in between several searches instantly. It always takes a while for big database in imatch5  and for some uncertain reason I can't narrow the search result to psd files only for example.  Sometimes it works, sometimes doesn't.  I can't figure out why.   Never a problem in 3.6

ps. Would love to see same 3.6 styled Search menu in imatch 2017 making separate panes.    In fact it's only reason I use 3.6    I just can't find a thing with imatch5 without one sort of a  problem or another.  It's always a puzzle.   

I went back to 3,6 from 5 version because after years of struggling with 5   using it almost every day  and reading help again and again I still can't feel myself same comfortable as with 3.6.
Ironically I had never read a line of help with 3.6 . It had always been kind of self explanatory.   

sinus

Quote from: kirk on September 14, 2017, 02:49:58 PM
Ironically I had never read a line of help with 3.6 . It had always been kind of self explanatory.   

I owned e.g. a Nikon F2.
I never read any manual or help, it was simply clear, what can be done.
I now use e.g. a Nikon D750. It is almost not possible to use it properly without reading at least some of the help-pages.

But of course the D750 offers much more then my good old F2.

I think, it is like this with a lot of stuff, like phones, cars, televisions or whatever.

Times are changing, if we like it or not.
My 2cents.

ps: you can also have in IM5 several different search-panes. If you would describe, what you want exactly to do, what you had in IM3, maybe we can help.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

Quote from: kirk on September 14, 2017, 02:49:58 PM
ps. Would love to see same 3.6 styled Search menu in imatch 2017 making separate panes.    In fact it's only reason I use 3.6 
Won't happen, sorry. No need for that.

I just can't find a thing with imatch5 without one sort of a  problem or another.  It's always a puzzle.   

It would help if you would tells us what you search for. Which search tool you use. Search Bar? Filter Panel? Search commands in the "Search" menu?
Do you know what the "scope" is? This is how you control where IMatch searches. If you expect a search command to search the entire database while your file window contains only the files in a folder or a category, you will be confused.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

kirk

A thing I use every day is Search > For file names and For images having specific dimensions.   Then I see search results in a separate pane . I do several such panes actually for a number of searches. Then in each of such pane I could use my own saved filters.   It's kind of step by step workflow logically.     Would just love to see it  in imatch2017 again.

With imatch5/2017  it works all at once. Well it does sometimes and sometimes I see nothing at all and instantly know I forgot to check in something. I have read imatch 5 help several times already and feel a bit tired  of necessity to read it again and again. 

I believe it's a kind of fundamental flaw of software design. I am working a lot with 3d CG soft  and it's a known problem there too when to do a certain thing you have to recall  checking few things in in some god forgotten drop down list or some obscure menu in some unexpected place.   Such a complex cross dependency  working at once may look cool for someone  but in fact it creates a lot of troubles for general art person who accustomed to think rather deductively and consequently, from broader idea to more narrow one.    In a word you have to keep in your mind too many parameter at once  instead of following a wizard kind of consecutive questions/tasks.

And your D750 is just an example of bad design too imo.  Actually it's why I didn't bought it .   Bought much cheaper Sigma camera with Foveon matrix instead   and have never been more happy with a camera.  It beats D750 in every aspect that really matter for me  and super easy to operate.

ps. it was in reply to Sinus

As of Mario question :  for doing same kind of search in imatch 5  I usually first check in "file name" filter with a necessary word   and then type .psd in "search the file window" in a bar over thumbnails .  Am I doing it wrong?      For some reason I can't see .psd only  sometimes ?    And anyway  I need to keep a few such search results for different names  but instead have to wait each time when imatch filter my whole database  if iI need a quick switch.

Mario

QuoteWith imatch5/2017  it works all at once. Well it does sometimes and sometimes I see nothing at all

1.  You can use the Search Bar in the file window to search for file names. To speed things up, set the option to search only in file names - else IMatch also searches metadata.
Use the drop-down of the X button on the right of the search bar to ensure that IMatch is searching what you think it is.

2, The search bar searches the contents of the file window (the scope). To search a folder, select that folder. To search in a category or time-line node, select that. To search your entire database, select the Database node in the Media & Folders view.

3. The Filter Panel also filters the files in the scope.

Not much to it. I think if you perform a few searches you will get the hang in a few minutes. Of course if you use IMatch 2017 only once a year you will have forgotten a lot.

QuoteI believe it's a kind of fundamental flaw of software design.

No. There is simple "two button" software and complex software. Windows Paint is easier to master than Photoshop.
90% of the Windows users out there don't know what they can to with the simple search box in Windows Explorer. Because they never bother to look it up in the Windows help). I have a book (!) which only explains Photoshop keyboard shortcuts. The entire book!

Try out the IMatch WebViewer, which is part of IMatch Anywhere. This has been designed for entry-level users without DAM know-how. It offers only the most basic features for searching and selection - and that is enough for the audience. Works great. Won't work with typical IMatch users

I could easily write a search box for IMatch which only searches for file names (case insensitive) and always searches the entire database. No help needed, no learning. Though, no way to control how it searches, to search for "begins with", "contains" "ends with" etc. Or for AND / OR / NOT searches.  This would not be the IMatch way.

I sometimes tech classes for DAM / IMatch.
My experience is that 99% of all users understand the search / filter functionality in a few minutes. I explain that in 10 minute section of my hands-on.
I shall make a note to make an tutorial video when I did all the other tutorial videos.

But, then again. If somebody does not read the search bar help (which is pretty good, methinks) and does not watch the tutorial, he/she won't understand it...

PS.: Maybe the "File Finder" App in IMatch 2017 is more to your taste. It searches only file names and has an option to search in the file window or the entire database. It displays the search result in a separate result window.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

sinus

Quote from: kirk on September 14, 2017, 04:31:43 PM
And your D750 is just an example of bad design too imo.  Actually it's why I didn't bought it .   Bought much cheaper Sigma camera with Foveon matrix instead   and have never been more happy with a camera.  It beats D750 in every aspect that really matter for me  and super easy to operate.

ps. it was in reply to Sinus

If you have read the IMatch 5 help several times, to be honest, it is a puzzle for me, that you have still troubles.
I use the search bar for searching, and sometimes the filter-panel, maybe you could read, nevertheless you have done this several times, again the search-section of the help?

OT:
This was only an example, like I had added more.
But if  you are happy with a sigma, fine.
I checked it once, but I did just now search for some comparisons again ... well, phew, you like you Sigma, I like my Nikon.  ;D So all is fine.

Markus

kirk

Thanks Mario for your help .  I appreciate your patience.    But I can only say I do right as you described in your 3 points and still just yesterday I couldn't  do my   .psd    X panel search within file name search set in right filter panel.   The top bar kept to be blue and didn't want to turn purple.    Maybe it needed more time but I had no indication.   Other day it didn't show files I was sure should be in certain folders.    Again I just shrugged and go back to 3.6       And even when it works as expected I need to keep a few of such searches instantly in touch. It's why I asked 3.6 styled separate panes. 

I wonder how you rate  your 3.6 version? Is it "two button"?  Probably not, right.  Still it have a virtue of what I call "self-explanatory"

Mario

When you use the Filter Panel, the file window caption bar becomes blue and shows a funnel icon. Same blue as the active filters.
When you use the File Window search bar (file window toolbar) the file window caption becomes purple and shows a "Search icon".
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

kirk

That's the purple thing that sometimes doesn't work when I typing  ".psd"  or ".tiff"  into the search bar.   But today with 2017 it seems working.  So I am not sure if it was my mistake and some kind of omission before in v5 or it's just a glitch.  But I had it almost every other day.       I love new map  features  and use a lot of GPS data usually so have to move forward to newer imatch version eventually .

Wonder if I can do a quick temporary save of search results in one kind of another. To have an instant access?  Not panes,   collections maybe ,  a replacement to multi pane approach ?   I need a quick switch in between searches.    Both filters and search bar works somehow slow on my end  so sometimes I am not sure if I don't have the actual files or imatch had been given not enough time. 

Mario

When you search for .psd or .tiff make sure you have the regular expression option disabled for the file window search bar. Else the . will be interpreted as a special character, not as a literal .    => your search might not work. Using regular expressions gives you a powerful search too which handles all the typical "begins with", "ends width", "contains" etc. special cases.

That's the only reason this can fail. Except the files you are searching for are not in the scope. Then they will not be found. obviously.

For your use case I suggest using collections. Maybe red, gree, blue dots. <Ctrl>+<A> to select all files in your result, then <D> to set a dot. You'll find the files in the corresponding collection in the Collection View. You can use these for filtering, for category etc.

Or setup a set of "Result" categories, like

@All
|- Results
   |- A
   |- B
   |- C
   |- D
   |- E

Then create Favorites for these categories and associate a keyboard shortcut with each Favorite. This allows you to assign your temporary results to one of your result categories with <Ctrl>+<A> to select all files and then the keyboard shortcut of your Favorite, e.g. <F3>,<A> for the A result.

Once in the categories you can do whatever you like with the files. Filtering etc. Using the secondary keyboard shortcut for the Favorite allows you to remove files again to clear the category.  Or <Ctrl>+<U>.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

ubacher

You need to be aware of one limitation/inconvenience when saving search results:
The active filtering is applied to all windows.

Example: you find a set of file with names containing ABC. You assign a pin (RED) to this set as Mario suggested.
Then you search (filter) for something else - say for files in horizontal orientation.
If you now switch to your saved set (RED pin collection) it will apply the filter to this and you won't see all files.
You need to make sure filtering (searching) is turned off when you work with saved sets!

To save the result of a search to a result window I use a script called "freezem" which I posted in the scripting forum.
This is more convenient than assigning to a collection but suffers from the same universal filtering problem.
Other than that it will look more like the saved searches from IM3.

kirk

Thanks for the suggestions Mario  and Ubacher.        Thanks for "turning off" hint .   Now I start  to understand why it confuses me non stop.

ps.  I seems can't find that "freezem" script  .    Is  "IMatch.closeResultWindow(id)"  the same thing?        Another  problem It's easy and self-explanatory in IM3 how to use scripts.  I see a menu "scripting" and with a quick wizard and somewhere the path to put those downloaded script to it's  instantly workable.   I use a few constantly.  Never searched through the help there.       

With IM5 or 2017  again I have no idea.  Quick  help search returns nothing.

sinus

Markus

kirk

kirk

Hi Mario,  Had to go back to Imatch 5.8.6  today.   I did everything you suggested and disable "regular expression"  . It actually haven't changed anything.

Then I tried to put just something into the search bar, any random line  of text , nothing . It looks like not working at all.   So I wonder what I do wrong now.   I am totally lost. The bar stays  blue and nothing makes it purple.   

Just put some jpg name there from what I see among files. Nothing happens. It should keep this only file, right?  It even doesn't turn purple.

Mario

Show us a screen shot of

1. The search bar and the files you expected it to find (just a screen shot of IMatch after your search failed)
2. Popup the menu of the X button on the right of the search bar to show us which options you have enabled.

I worked with the search all day to figure out an issue with case-insensitive searching for Cyrillic text reported by a user in Russia and it worked. Always.

So this is either something really weird that only happens on your PC, or your settings are not correct or your search term is not correct (e.g., includes ( or ) or multiple words and does not follow the search engine syntax).

When I see what you search how and where I can give you tips.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

kirk

Here is two screens attached.  Just checked it with smaller database and checked the database itself. No errors. In the second screen I just put "4" in the serach bar
IMatch should show me only files with "4" in  names , right?

ps. Some days it works ok so I never sure it's not a silly mistake on my end  but just can't figure out what it is now.  IM3.6 works like a Swiss watch.

Rebooted my pc , no difference either.   Not sure if I should try to re-install iMatch . It seems rather like a glitch probably than my omission

ubacher

Your second screen shot shows that you are filtering for "dirt" in the file name.
And you search for 4 in the search bar. I assume this is not allowed.

Mario

Quote from: kirk on September 15, 2017, 05:12:54 PM
IMatch should show me only files with "4" in  names , right?

No.

You have enabled the search everywhere option. This means that IMatch searches all metadata fields and the file names too.
It is very likely to find a value of 4 in at least one of the metadata fields.

If you only want to search the file name, enable the Search file names only option.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Mario

Quote from: ubacher on September 15, 2017, 05:59:32 PM
Your second screen shot shows that you are filtering for "dirt" in the file name.
And you search for 4 in the search bar. I assume this is not allowed.

It's OK to combine the filter panel with the search bar.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

kirk

Ok. I enabled "Search file names only"  . No difference.  I actually tried all those options.  Nothing changed. Have just downloaded and re-installed iMatch 5.8.4 . Nothing have changed.   

Mario

You now search for file names in the file window and you also using the File Name filter. Mhm.

Maybe you should search only with one of those. Disable the filter by removing the check. This should do it
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

kirk

In fact I wanted to see  .psd files  initially.      I set "4"  just to test it.    And you have just said "It's OK to combine the filter panel with the search bar"     

So how I supposed  to search for files having "dirt" in both names and folder names and see only .psd of them?

Mario

I see.

You are using the file name filter with the "folders too" option to filter out all folders or file names which contain the word dirt. You start with all the files in your database.
Then you want to further filter down from that result to see only files with specific elements in the name...

I think I have found an issue introduced by an optimization. I'll fix that for the next release.

Tip: To quickly find files in a specific format, use the file format filter (if it is not visible in the Filter Panel, enable it via the Gear button in the Filter Panel toolbar):

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

kirk