App or feature request - Jump to Category

Started by Kucera, July 16, 2017, 07:08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kucera

Ctr-G will jump to folder of the picture that is focused in timeline, collection, or category file window.
I would like a quick way to do a similar "jump" from any of the other tabs to the category of the selected file - if it has only one category - or, if there are more than one category (at the lowest hierarchy level), to create an 'on the fly' category like the one Builder does, and open that in the file window.

If there is such a menu item or shortcut, my apology, but I could not find it.

I wonder if our script wizards could make a little app that one could put in the Favorites?
Or would a full-scale feature request be more appropriate?

Mario

You can jump to categories directly from the Category Panel. And when the category is a @Keyword, you can also jump to the category from the Keyword Panel. Just right-click the category in the tree or one of the other tabs in the category panel, or a keyword to see the menu and then choose Goto... or use the corresponding toolbar button or keyboard shortcut.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

JohnZeman

Since you posted this in the IMatch 5 section I assume you want to do this in the older version of IMatch and not in 2017.

I've attached my Category Jumper Script which I believe will do want you want.

Kucera

Thank you both. I see I made another booboo, posting in the wrong board - can the thread be moved to the proper one?  I am using the latest IMatch 7. Thanks John, unfortunately I can't use the script, though I downloaded it just to look and confirmed that I am no good at understanding it...

Thanks Mario, I did not know about the right click in the category panel. It helps, but a only little, because with a long list of categories it takes some scrolling etc, not much different from switching to the categories tab and doing it there.

What I am hoping for is a one-click Favorite or a right-click in the File Window, that would go to the category of the selected file - if it has only one category - or, if there are more than one category (at the lowest hierarchy level), to create an 'on the fly' category like the one Builder does, and open that in the file window.
Perhaps if this can be moved to the 'IMatch 2017 Scripting and Apps' someone can take it as a challenge  ;)
Can the thread be moved or should I just re-post it there? (not sure of the proper netiquette here)

JohnZeman

I moved it to the 2017 script section for you.

Mario

Scrolling is barely needed when you use the Current tab in the Category Panel:

From there you can quickly locate a Category in the Panel, or jump right to the Category View.

No feature to somehow combine all files contained in the same categories as the current file into a temporary category. I don't see much sense in such a feature, What would that achieve?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

JohnZeman

For me the disadvantage of using the Categories Panel Current tab is I normally want a full sized panel for assigning categories while I only need a small one to see the categories currently assigned. 

Solution for me? 

Use the File Categories panel instead and dock it next to your favorites panel in a small space like I did.  The file categories has the same "jump to" buttons as the Categories Current panel.

Mario

Yet another solution  :)
IMatch has so many features...something for everyone  ;)
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Kucera

Thank you thank you thank you !!!

Quote from: Mario
Yet another solution  :)
IMatch has so many features...something for everyone  ;)
You are not kidding. I've been using IMatch since 2008 yet I still kind of overlooked the little green arrows in the menu bar of the panels.
Quote from: JohnZeman
Use the File Categories panel instead and dock it next to your favorites panel in a small space like I did.  The file categories has the same "jump to" buttons as the Categories Current panel.
AND I completely disregarded the utility of File Categories panel, too.
Quote from: Mario
No feature to somehow combine all files contained in the same categories as the current file into a temporary category. I don't see much sense in such a feature, What would that achieve?
It would kind of graphically achieve the same thing as the Builder window does, presumably quicker than dragging categories.
However, using bits of both your answers pretty much takes care of my current needs already. I love this forum! (and you can quote me on that  ;D)
Thanks again   Emil