Are write backs done if they aren't required?

Started by greg, March 10, 2017, 06:28:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greg

If there are a group of thumbnails with some showing the need for metadata write back and others not showing write back needed, is the operation slowed down by forcing all files to write back whether a write back is needed or not?

sinus

I do not know this really.
But if I have 100 images and 5 have the sign for write-back (the pen), and I give the command to write-back all, then the 95 images, what is not necessary to write-back, are not touched, IMatch goes quickly only to the 5 images with the pen and writes-back only these.

I guess, theoretically IMatch has longer, because it must look quickly, if an image has to be write-back or not, but this process is so quickly, that the delay is very short, so that it will almost not be countable.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

IMatch usually needs to write back each new file at least once. This is caused by the mapping that takes place between legacy IPTC, EXIF, GPS and XMP during the import. IMatch produces high-quality and portable metadata in that phase, and unless you have written back the files, this data only exists in the database.

Tip: When you point the mouse cursor at the write-back pen in the file window, the tooltip tells you what IMatch needs to write.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

greg

Yes, the write back pen is a very useful indicator. I have found that keeping the user aware of write back status is a real benefit with iMatch.

Mario

Quote from: greg on March 10, 2017, 03:56:21 PM
I have found that keeping the user aware of write back status is a real benefit with iMatch.
Indeed. IMatch also gives you full control about when you write-back and which files.

=> You can write back one or more selected files.
=> You can write back all pending files in the current scope (via the Commands menu)
=> You can write back all pending files.

=> You can also configure IMatch to write-back immediately. This may be required if you use multiple XMP-aware applications at the same time.

See the Using AdobeĀ® Lightroom and IMatch 5 together in the DAM Knowledge-base for more info.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook