CSV Import App finished top 90%

Started by Mario, March 04, 2017, 06:37:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mario

A milestone for IMatch 2017!  Yay!

The CSV Import App is truly useful: Import data from Excel or other databases/software products into metadata or IMatch Attributes.
Some users may never need it, but for others it is an important part of their typical DAM workflow.

The CSV Import App for IMatch 2017 is an advanced version of the CSV Import module we have in IMatch 5.
I wrote that one in Basic using the IMatch object model some years ago. And now I rewrote it in JavaScript and HTML!

This app is a milestone for IMatch 2017 because it requires so much and is a bit complicated:

1. Select a local file name for import (this requires a feature to open a file browser from JavaScript, which is not standard. IMatch supplies that functionality).
2. Read a text file somewhere in the file system (not doable in plain JavaScript for security reasons). IMWS provides that functionality.
3. Parsing the text file, splitting it into rows and columns. Based on settings the user controls.
4. Depending on the target selected by the user, import the data into IMatch Attributes or Metadata. IMWS now has methods to do that.
5. Implement a neat user (and quite advanced) user interface.
6. Providing user feedback, multi-language user interface etc.

As you can see, this app covers a lot of ground.
Implementing it is a great test case for the scripting functionality new for IMatch 2017, and the new 'update' methods in IMWS.
I had implemented the new app two weeks ago, but had to wait until I had all the new functionality available in IMWS for writing metadata and Attributes before I could finish it.

This is how the new CSV Import App looks (click to zoom):

Quite an improvement of what we could achieve with Basic in IMatch 5.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

sounds cool.
I guess, that I could also import some data from a access-database?
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

Many users use the existing CSV import to import data from Excel, Access, MySQL, ORACLE etc.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook