IMWS and IMatch 6 - Apps

Started by Mario, February 05, 2017, 01:22:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mario

Hi, users

After finishing the improved support for video import and display for IMatch 6 (one of the major enhancements for this version) I'm now working on the integration of IMatch Anywhere technology into IMatch 6.

The old scripting engine and all related features have been stripped already. During the last week I've developed the new App Manager, which replaces the script manager we had in IMatch 5. The App Manager is responsible for discovering and managing apps included with IMatch and of course apps you develop yourself or get from other users.

The IMatch 6 apps will run in App Panels (like the experimental apps we had in IMatch 5). You can open 4 App panels at the same time, which gives you plenty of resources to run multiple useful apps simultaneously.

I also plan to introduce something called an App View - which fills the entire interior of the IMatch main window - similar to the Media & Folder or Category Views. Such a large view offers a lot of extra space for presenting your files in new ways or cool new features. I have some ideas in this area.

In addition, apps can run in a separate 'modal' window. This is basically like a dialog box, just that the content of the window is entirely controlled by an app. This type is ideal for apps which gather some sort of input from the other and then 'do something'. For example, the new CSV Import module or the Import Metadata into Attributes which have been written in Basic for IMatch 5 and which I now will rewrite in JavaScript for you.

A modal app can also be used for apps which don't need any sort of input and just need to show some sort of progress feedback.

App Wizard

The first app I wrote to test out the App Manager and new workflow is the App Wizard. This Wizard makes it super-ease to create a new app from scratch. It gets some info from you and then sets up a new app with all required files in the file system. You then can immediately write a bit of HTML for the user interface of your app and use IMWS methods to access files and other data in your database.

Similar to the "New Script" feature we have in IMatch 5, just better looking and written completely in JavaScript and HTML. This is how it looks:

Thanks to the benefits of HTML and JavaScript it looks good on all screen resolutions and display sizes!

For more examples like this, visit the IMatch Anywhere Developer Center

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

BanjoTom

Looking forward eagerly to these updates!!  Thanks, Mario!
— Tom, in Lexington, Kentucky, USA

Jingo

Aubrey

ben

QuoteI also plan to introduce something called an App View - which fills the entire interior of the IMatch main window - similar to the Media & Folder or Category Views.
Cool, very good.

Will this hide the media & Folder area?
If yes, then maybe an AppView that only hides the FilewWindow would be great.

Suggestion:
Maybe add tabs in the filewindow area -> like the "search results"

Ben

Mario

We will have up to 4 app panels. Like all panels you can dock them everywhere, make them separate windows and even move them to another monitor.

In my current design, App Views are implemented like all the other views - they will the IMatch workspace area (except the parts which are used for panels). Similar to the result windows. So, no Media & Folders or Category Trees visible on the left. These are "integrated" into their respective views, and are linked to a file window.

The idea is to give the app as much room as possible. Basically we could run IMatch WebViewer in such an App View. Then you would have the Navigator on the left, and the rest of the IMatch window will show the files selected in the Navigator. Other uses would be for a large map panel (I plan to add some new features there which will benefit from a large view).

But, I have also pondered the thought for a special "File Window Layout" which replaces the standard file window with an app window. You could use that as a 3rd (thumbnail, tabular, app) mode for file windows. It would work with Media & Folders, Categories etc. but would give me (and probably users) new ways to visualize and present the files and objects currently selected. HTML and JavaScript have some powerful tools for that.

For example, look at the Timeline View in IMatch WebViewer. Seeing the currently selected files (from a folder, drive, category, collection) in such an advanced timeline presentation would probably be a cool feature to have. And the code is already there and could be adapted quickly to be used inside IMatch.

Selected files in the "App File Window" would of course work like selected files in any regular file window. Filters would also work etc.

That's the beauty of IMWS and the ability to extend IMatch 2017 with HTML apps. The more you think about it, the more ideas you get.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ben

QuoteThe idea is to give the app as much room as possible.
QuoteBut, I have also pondered the thought for a special "File Window Layout" which replaces the standard file window with an app window.

Both, very good ideas.
Now, one of the suggestions of this FR would become handy
(https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=6349.0).
-> "Please add a way to quickly hide and show all panels of one screen side."

e.g. clicking on the screen corners would show/hide all pannels of that side.