All over my head

Started by DigPeter, January 31, 2017, 05:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigPeter

I have been following the various threads concerning IMA.  I really wonder whether I would be able to use it.  My concerns are:

- There seems to an enormous emphasis on scripting and using HTML, neither of which I understand.  This is not made any clearer by the jargon used to discuss this - what is an "endpoint", "object model" etc?   The demos are accordingly right over my head.  I am sure I am not the only user who is computer illiterate.

- It seems that the multi access facility relies on having a database in the "cloud"- how else could it accessed if the remote computer, away from home, is not linked to the main computer?   Does this require a separate subscription to a cloud service?  If not, must the home computer remain operational when trying to access the database remotely?

Mario

1. IMatch Anywhere and IMatch are separate products.

2. IMatch Anywhere is an add-on for IMatch. You can use it in addition if you want to make your database accessible in your local or company network. Or if you want to be able to browse your database on your tablet, Mac, Linux or Android device. Or on your TV.

3. You can use IMatch without using or knowing anything about IMatch Anywhere or IMatch WebServices.

4. IMatch 6 will look and work like IMatch 5. It will have some new features (e.g., better video support, better speed, less memory requirements for large databases), but no relevant changes in the user interface or feature set.

5. Only programmers (and users who want to write their own scripts for IMatch) will have to learn anything about IMWS technology embedded in IMatch. Or endpoints. Or whosname.

6. For me, having the power of IMWS embedded in IMatch is a super thing. I can develop much better features for IMatch users, access modern web technology, create nicer user interfaces for the import & export modules, a better map panel and all that.

7. If you have written IMatch scripts using Basic in the past, you will not be able to run these scripts IMatch 6 anymore. After over 10 years of continuity and keeping the now ancient Basic scripting engine alive, I decided to make a clean cut for IMatch 6. We will have only one programming interface (endpoints, object model, ...) from now on. And this will work "in" IMatch as well as for the standalone IMWS version.

In short: If you don't program IMatch, nothing changes for you.

You just install IMatch 6 once it's available and enjoy the new features.
If you have precious IMatch scripts on which you totally depend, you can continue using Match 5 until it breaks for some reason.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

DigPeter

Thank you Mario.  I realise that IMA is an "add on"and I am reassured that script/HTML knowledge is not required by ordinary punters.  Could you please answer the second of my concerns.

Jingo

Hi Peter... so accessing your database via IMA in a browser OUTSIDE your network is a more complicated matter and one that requires a bit of advanced setup to ensure you allow access to only those that should gain access to your network.  It looks like the easiest way to do this is via a VPN or other "remote access" mechanism.  You would essentially be connecting into your home network from another network and then the remote computer thinks it is a member of your network so you can access IMA.  I currently do this using Teamviewer which enables me to remote to one of the computers in my network - and then just launch IMatch from there.  Since IMA offers an easier interface for just viewing images in your catalog - I will be implementing some sort of secure VPN to avoid having to do this all from a remote machine.

The catalog stays within your network so no cloud type of setup is needed.  I recommend taking a look at the documentation on how to setup remote access... its all a bit technical TBH so you may still find yourself confused.... hope this helps!

Mario

QuoteIt seems that the multi access facility relies on having a database in the "cloud"- how else could it accessed if the remote computer, away from home, is not linked to the main computer?   Does this require a separate subscription to a cloud service?

IMatch WebService is basically a web server. It accepts connections from apps like IMatch WebViewer over a network. No cloud is required.
This can be your local network at home ("home network", "Wi-Fi", "WLAN"). It can be a corporate network. Or it can be the Internet.

In all cases, IMatch WebServices run on a Windows PC. This PC can be at your home. Or in your company. Or running on your tablet when you visit friends.
Or you rent a Windows server in the cloud (Google, Amazon, Microsoft and many other companies offer this, for as little as 5 to 10 $ a month) if you want to be able to access your IMatch database from everywhere without keeping a computer running at home.

It all depends on if you need IMWS at all, and how you want to use it.

Using it in a home or corporate environment is super easy. "It just works".

Giving others access to an IMWS installation over the Internet is also easy - but it has security implications. Not because of IMWS. But because bad people are out there and try to break into web servers, IoT devices, routers, your smart phone and everything else that is connected to the Internet and do evil things.

I explain this in great detail in the documentation that comes with IMatch Anywhere. You will want to read this before you consider allowing "the world" access to your IMatch database.

The mentioned "VPN" (virtual private network) is something that works very well. Basically you create a secure "tunnel" between your PC somewhere and your server at home. While you are still using the Internet to connect, only people who have access to your VPN (user name and password, MAC address etc.) can connect to IMWS running on your PC. Very secure.

There are tons of resources on VPN and security available on the Internet and YouTube. Give your favorite search engine a spin.

Again: You don't need all that when you only use IMatch. Or when you only want to use IMWS in your home network.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

DigPeter

@Mario
@Jingo

Many thanks for your explanations.  I am now clearer about this and will consider the way ahead.