Anyone get IMA to work on an iPad?

Started by Ted, January 14, 2017, 09:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted

I've installed IMA and have tested it on a windows PC.  Tried getting it to work on my iPhone 7 and iPad 3 and have not been able to get past the IMA logo and a swirling circle.  Nothing else comes back. 
If you've gotten it to work, please share so maybe I can get it working.
Thanks.
-----
Ted
Enjoying life one day at a time.

jch2103

I haven't had any issues specific to iDevices, but I did have initial issues with access from other computers/devices on the local network. These has to do with firewall settings on the PC that was running IMWS. One I fixed that, everything worked properly.

Can you access IMA from any other devices on your local network?
John

Ted

John,
Yes I can access it from another Windows 10 PC on my local area network.
-----
Ted

Mario

This should be no problem at all.

What happens if you enter the info link manually. This link is shown in the IMatch WebServices Controller app:

(Your computer name will be different).

Can Safari access IMWS at all? If it does, your browser will display some text with basic info about IMWS.

If this request fails, your iDevice cannot reach IMWS.
Firefall problem?
DNS problem (your iDevice cannot map the computer name to the IP address).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Ted

-----
Ted

Mario

It's in my screen shot. The highlighed area.

Lookup what's listed in the "Service Info URL" on your IMWS computer. Note: This data is only shown when IMWS is running.

Then type what you see there on your IMWS computer into the address bar of the browser on your iPad and try to load the URL.
If this does not work, your iPad cannot reach the computer running IMWS.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Ted

Here's a screen capture of what appears on my iPad
-----
Ted

Mario

This looks good. Your iPad can access IMWS via the browser.

Did you use the machine name of the computer running IMWS or its IP address?
How long did it take to get the answer back? Usually the response should take 1/10 of a second or less.

If your browser can access IMWS, IMatchWebViewer should also be able to .
Especially since you could access your IMWS from other computers (?) in your network?

If you see the IMatchWebViewer user interface on your iPad (the "wait" circle) IMWS is accessible and serves the web site.
The part where your iPad waits is when it downloads the data for he user interface and stuff.
How long did you wait? Maybe the connection is just very slow and nothing is cached yet?

IMWS displays an error message when it cannot connect to the server.
Unless some sort of "security" mechanism in your browser or on your iPad is blocking JavaScript or something...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Ted

Quote from: Mario on January 15, 2017, 08:43:48 PM
This looks good. Your iPad can access IMWS via the browser.

Did you use the machine name of the computer running IMWS or its IP address?
How long did it take to get the answer back? Usually the response should take 1/10 of a second or less.

If your browser can access IMWS, IMatchWebViewer should also be able to .
Especially since you could access your IMWS from other computers (?) in your network?

If you see the IMatchWebViewer user interface on your iPad (the "wait" circle) IMWS is accessible and serves the web site.
The part where your iPad waits is when it downloads the data for he user interface and stuff.
How long did you wait? Maybe the connection is just very slow and nothing is cached yet?

IMWS displays an error message when it cannot connect to the server.
Unless some sort of "security" mechanism in your browser or on your iPad is blocking JavaScript or something...

For some reason I'm not able to access with the computer name.  What I sent you was done with the IP addr.

I do see the ImatchWebViewer 'wait' circle - it comes up fairly quickly.  The circle just keeps spinning, but nothing else.  My iPad 3 has been waiting now for about 10 minutes - and my iPhone 7 has been waiting for 6 minutes - nothing.  When I bring up Task Manager on my Win10 PC it shows almost no ethernet activity.  Both iDevices are connect via 5G.
-----
Ted

Aubrey

I suppose you have tried:
192.168.0.8/imatchviewer

Aubrey.

Ted

Quote from: Aubrey on January 15, 2017, 09:43:18 PM
I suppose you have tried:
192.168.0.8/imatchviewer

Aubrey.
Yes, except I added the :8081 port.  That gets me the 'wait' screen that I mentioned.  Nothing ever happens after that.
-----
Ted

Aubrey

Yes I forgot the 8081 apologies.

this is what I use:

http://192.168.10.60:8081/imatchviewer

It looks like you are effectively using the same in your setup.

Have you checked your firewall on your PC? This should be setup to allow IMatch Webservices through. It is usually set up automatically.

To check type into the bottom left of your window (see magnifying glass on W10) "Allow an app through windows firewall" then look down the list in the window that opens. There should be a tick against the private column.

I can't think of anything else this evening.

Ted

Yes, there is a tick beside 'IMatch webService' in the 'Private' column.  Figured there was because I can get to it with no problems from another Windows 10 PC on my local area network.  Thanks for the ideas.
-----
Ted

Aubrey

Ted,
I hadn't realized that you had it working on another PC on your local network. This makes it more puzzling.
I have compared the information you posted from the "info" window with my ipad2, they appear to be identical.

My thoughts, Mario will be better than I am here, are that the config.json file is not being accessed correctly from the ipad.

Have a look at the security on this file:
It is located at:
C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatchAnywhere\IMWS\docroot\imatchviewer\imatch\config
Right click on the filename config.json
Select "Security" tab.

Mine is set up as:
System: Allow everything except special permissions
Administrators: Allow everything except special permissions
Users: Read & execute, read

Aubrey.

Aubrey

Ted,
I've had another idea...
Type in this URL.
It should bring up the IMatch WebViewer Help. (Of course change the ip address for your machine)

http://192.168.10.60:8081/imatchviewer/help/index.html.

If it works then the issue must be with the config.json file.

Check the config.json very very carefully, you may have some stray character there (though as it works with another windows machine this is unlikely)

Mario

Since Ted can access IMWS from the iPad (tested via the /info URL) and also access IMatch WebViewer from other PCs in his network, the setup is correct (including the config.json) file.

Since he sees the IMatch WebViewer UI (which is served by IMWS) on his iPad but then it stops while accessing the IMWS, the problem is on the iPad. My guess is that a browser plug-in or other feature is blocking the JavaScript and thus prevents IMatch WebViewer from working.

@Ted:

I have no experience with Apple hardware or the Safari Browser. But I think it has a feature called "Web Inspector" (check the menus). This tool would allow you to see error messages logged by IMatch WebViewer in the "Console" window or errors logged by the web browser when trying to access IMWS on the "network" tab.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

ulrich

I use FIREFOX as browser on my iPad, works fine....
Regards Ulrich

Mario

Quote from: ulrich on January 17, 2017, 03:14:09 PM
I use FIREFOX as browser on my iPad, works fine....
Yep. i know that it works in principle. There are quite a number of happy iDevice / IMatch Aynwhere users around already - and IMA is still less than four weeks available now  ;)

This is surely some specific setting, plug-in or security feature that is blocking the JavaScript on Ted's PC.
Let's hope he can figure it out or the Web Inspector gives us additional hints.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Aubrey

I hope Ted comes back to us...

When I look at Web Inspector:
http://appletoolbox.com/2012/10/how-to-use-web-inspector-on-ipad-iphone-to-remote-debugging-with-safari/

It looks like one also needs a Mac to use this software. Ted has only mentioned using 2 different PCs in his emails.

"After you've turned on Web Inspector, you need to connect your device to your computer (Mac only, PC computers do not support this feature). "

Strange that he has the same issue on 2 different Apple devices.

Perhaps Ted has a friend with another Apple device who can log into his local net while visiting (Ted, entice him/her with a glass of wine or beer  ;) ) and see if he/she has the same issue on their device.

If Ted drops me a personal email I'll get him temporary access to my website using public version of IMWS to see if it's a local problem.

Aubrey.

Ted

Quote from: Aubrey on January 17, 2017, 07:39:26 PM
I hope Ted comes back to us...

When I look at Web Inspector:
http://appletoolbox.com/2012/10/how-to-use-web-inspector-on-ipad-iphone-to-remote-debugging-with-safari/

It looks like one also needs a Mac to use this software. Ted has only mentioned using 2 different PCs in his emails.

"After you've turned on Web Inspector, you need to connect your device to your computer (Mac only, PC computers do not support this feature). "

Strange that he has the same issue on 2 different Apple devices.

Perhaps Ted has a friend with another Apple device who can log into his local net while visiting (Ted, entice him/her with a glass of wine or beer  ;) ) and see if he/she has the same issue on their device.

If Ted drops me a personal email I'll get him temporary access to my website using public version of IMWS to see if it's a local problem.

Aubrey.
Aubrey,
You've hit upon my problem.  I have no Mac and don't know of anyone who does.  So, it looks like I'll just have to wait this one out.  I will take you up on your offer - email to follow.  Thanks.
-----
Ted

Mario

Does the Apple browser on iPad not have the debugging help?
And I suppose you cannot install a proper browser like FireFox or Chrome?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Ted

I have Chrome installed on both my iDevices, but I get the same results.
-----
Ted

Mario

It seems Apple does not allow other browsers to have developer tools on iDevices.

This means we have no way to tell why your browser is failing. Apple is always so, eh, special...

Since you can reach IMWS from that deivice (the /info link) the only reason can be that the JavaScript is blocked by your browser, or by Apple or by whatever Apple installs on the iPad. If IMatch WebViewer would get no connection it would display an error message. Since it does not even that, your iPad is blocking it completely from working. Can't help you there, sorry. I don't use Apple hardware.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Jingo

Wish I could offer more assistance.. but just wanted to note that I was able to get into IMA from my iPad mini, my iPad2 and my Macbook Air.  Also worked for me on my Honor 8 Android phone, Android-on-a-stick device and an iphone.... Ipad Mini was using safari on IOS 10.. perhaps the version you are using is from an older ios release?

Ted

Quote from: Mario on January 17, 2017, 08:54:04 PM
It seems Apple does not allow other browsers to have developer tools on iDevices.

This means we have no way to tell why your browser is failing. Apple is always so, eh, special...

Since you can reach IMWS from that deivice (the /info link) the only reason can be that the JavaScript is blocked by your browser, or by Apple or by whatever Apple installs on the iPad. If IMatch WebViewer would get no connection it would display an error message. Since it does not even that, your iPad is blocking it completely from working. Can't help you there, sorry. I don't use Apple hardware.

Aubrey gave me access to his system on the Internet and I was able to access it via Windows 10, iPad3 and iPhone7 without making any changes to any of the devices.  That tells me that the browser is okay and that there may be something wrong with my Win 10 server.  I'll do some more playing around with that.
-----
Ted

jch2103

I doubt this is the issue, but at one point during the IMA beta, I had to delete the existing firewall entry and re-add it to get around a connectivity problem.
John

Ted

I just disabled the firewall on my PC and tried to connect with the iPad3 - no luck.

I'm going to do a uninstall of the product, reboot, and then reinstall it - just in case something went wrong in the first installation.
-----
Ted

Aubrey

If you are going to delete and do a clean reinstall then also delete the following folder:
C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatchAnywhere

However before you delete: copy the following folder to another location:
C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatchAnywhere\IMWS\cals

This folder has your license.

You are probably able to get another license on reinstallation, but better to be sure - Mario will confirm.

Aubrey.

Mario

QuoteAubrey gave me access to his system on the Internet and I was able to access it via Windows 10, iPad3 and iPhone7 without making any changes to any of the devices. 

Mhm, strange. Firewall?
Did you use the /info link (during our test) with the machine name or the IP address?
Maybe the iPad cannot resolve the machine name you have used in your IMatch WebViewer config.json file?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Ted

When accessing my 'server' (called FS2) from Windows I use FS2:8081, etc; when accessing from iDevice I MUST use 192.168.0.8:8081 but in the iDevice window it says something about fs2:8081 (don't have it running right now).

I'm building a much smaller database to see if that is maybe the problem.  I just used my old IM5 database that has over 200,000 images and I'm thinking that the iPad simply chokes on that volume of information.  Aubrey had a little over 100 images in the file he gave me access to.

Will let you know, soon I hope.
-----
Ted

Mario

Quotewhen accessing from iDevice I MUST use 192.168.0.8:8081

If your iPad cannot access the server via it's name (FS2), you also need to use the IP address in the IMatchWebViewer config.json. By default, the machine name is used.

Open the docroot\imatch\config\config.json on the IMWS machine in Notepad. Change the imwsURL to use the IP address instead of the machine name. Then the browser on your iPad will be able to find your IMWS server.

Usually your router ensures that the machine names can be accessed from any device in your local network. Your iPad may not be able to handle this because your server is not an Apple product or something. Or maybe this violates the end-to-end control Apple is so keen on.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Ted

-----
Ted

Ted

Earlier I raised the question about number of files and wondered if that might be a problem.  It's not!

I'm currently using my regular database with some 237,000 images in it, and it is working fine - windows 10, iPad3 and iPhone7.

-----
Ted

Aubrey

My database has some 60,000 files. I only gave access to a test folder that had 2 files, though the parent had some 150 files.

Anyway glad we finally solved it.

Ted

Aubrey,
Thanks for your help.  Feel free to remove the test account you setup for me.  It gave me an feel for the speed and the fact that it actually worked.
-----
Ted

Aubrey

Ted,
I've not used IMWS much outside of home environment. However, as I don't live close to my immediate family it gives them an opportunity to look in on our lives.

I'm pleased you noticed a good speed. The machine being used for IMatch Anywhere is an very old Dell Inspiron 6000 I found in our loft, from about 2004 (Pentium M processor, 1.86 GHz 2GB memory useable 32 bit operating system W10). IMWA is the only thing running on this machine.
Periodically I copy across my database from my primary machine to the Dell for use by IMWA. I want to protect my primary machine from possible hacking.

I have an old 500GB dedicated external USB2 disk attached, onto this disk I cache all my images for IMWS rather than trying to generate them as needed from the raw files.

IMWA is very efficient and works great on this slowwww machine.

Aubrey.

Mario

Quote from: Ted on January 17, 2017, 11:22:35 PM
Earlier I raised the question about number of files and wondered if that might be a problem.  It's not!
I'm currently using my regular database with some 237,000 images in it, and it is working fine - windows 10, iPad3 and iPhone7.

IMWS is indeed very efficient. Even when running on small devices (some users have tested it successfully on Intel NUC stick PCs!)
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Jingo

Quote from: Aubrey on January 18, 2017, 07:44:20 AM
Ted,
I've not used IMWS much outside of home environment. However, as I don't live close to my immediate family it gives them an opportunity to look in on our lives.

I'm pleased you noticed a good speed. The machine being used for IMatch Anywhere is an very old Dell Inspiron 6000 I found in our loft, from about 2004 (Pentium M processor, 1.86 GHz 2GB memory useable 32 bit operating system W10). IMWA is the only thing running on this machine.
Periodically I copy across my database from my primary machine to the Dell for use by IMWA. I want to protect my primary machine from possible hacking.

I have an old 500GB dedicated external USB2 disk attached, onto this disk I cache all my images for IMWS rather than trying to generate them as needed from the raw files.

IMWA is very efficient and works great on this slowwww machine.

Aubrey.

Hi Aubrey - curious if you can detail how you setup access to IMA for folks outside the home... do you require folks to VPN into you network before viewing or did you open an "always open" tunnel or port?  Thx!

Aubrey

I have a Linux server running Apache and my own website on this (Another old DELL M70 computer - about 8 years old!) My website runs on Wordpress.

I launch IMWS from the Linux machine (M70) which then uses a proxy server to contact the  machine running W10 and IMWS.

This means that the  machine running W10 and IMatch Web services controller is hidden from the internet.

I'm not using a tunnel or VPN. I'm relying on the firewall on Linux and Apache server.  However, when I get the time I will go to https: I still need to read up on SSL.

Aubrey.

Mario

For other: Using a hardened web server that serves the IMatch WebViewer site, and hiding IMWS behind that server is one of the secure deployment scenarios I describe in the documentation.

Keeping IMWS behind a firewall and using Apache as a proxy creates a securer scenario for providing access to IMatch from the Internet. Other ways are, for example, VPN. See the documentation for more info.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Mario

Quote from: Aubrey on January 18, 2017, 04:58:36 PM
However, when I get the time I will go to https: I still need to read up on SSL.
Aubrey.
Creating a self-signed certificate to use for IMWS and/or Apache is easy to do with OpenSSL. Just search for the combination of terms. E.g.

https://www.sslshopper.com/article-how-to-create-and-install-an-apache-self-signed-certificate.html

To create a self-signed certificate in .pem format for IMWS itself was explained in one of my posts yesterday.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator