Just purchased - couldn't get it going the first time

Started by muranod, January 02, 2017, 07:14:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muranod

Thank you, Mario! I purchased a copy as soon as I got this to work.

When I first installed IMA, I did not have time to read everything carefully and didn't realize that I only needed to enter the URL in a browser window on the second computer to access the database (I had been trying to access it via a second installation of the IMA trial). This is beautiful and incredibly useful!

I have a few questions, if I may: Is it actually necessary to copy the existing database if the copy I'm accessing is  on the same computer? (Is there any risk of corruption?)

If I copy a large database, say to a home cloud drive, I would also need to copy the cache and original image files or point back to the database computer, correct? (If not, would IMA build its own cache?)

And also, was just wondering how far down the road it might be when we will be able to use IMA to make metadata changes on the original database?

Thanks again for all the attention and care you put into this incredibly useful and affordable product.

Dan M

Mario

Quoteand didn't realize that I only needed to enter the URL in a browser window on the second computer to access the databas

Well, that's the beauty of IMatch Anywhere  :)
You run IMWS on one PC in your network, and you can access and browse your database from any other computer in your network with a web browser.

You don't need to use a copy of the database. Not when you don't need to access the database at the same time in IMatch and IMatch Anywhere.
IMatch WebServices manages its own cache (because it has multiple cache files for each file in the database). The IMatch cache is entirely separate.

IMWS needs access to the original images when it needs to create cache files. By default it does this on-demand. This saves time and disk space.
You can let it create the cache files in advance - see the documentation for details.
If you have two licenses you can create the cache on one computer (with access to the original files) and then move the cache to the other computer (without access to the original files). It all depends on how you want to operate things.

QuoteThanks again for all the attention and care you put into this incredibly useful and affordable product.

You're welcome. Have fun.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook