Changes to files on external drive not showing up in IMatch

Started by jonz, December 09, 2016, 11:48:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonz

I am having a terrible time with a problem I can't figure out. I have recently moved IMatch  to a new computer. On this new computer (Win 10)  I have some of my photos on an internal drive, and the vast majority on an external (USB 3.0) drive.

The files on the internal drive are behaving normally.

On the external drive only, folder icons are not updating (a few are "frozen" calling for rescans) and neither are thumbnail previews updating. IMatch doesn't now seem to know, on the external drive, when files are added or edited. For instance, if I have only a RAF original and then I create a TIF version, the TIF version does not show up in a rescan. If I had a TIF version (previous to moving to this computer) linked to a RAF original and I edit that TIF, the preview does not update (but if I double click, the thumbnail is linked to the updated file). So the original relations are still there, but nothing is updating. I have tried recreating the cache, I've checked the drive for read errors, but nothing I'm doing is helping. Yet the files seem linked to the thumbnails properly, no bongs or other errors.

So this is only happening on the external drive, yet database diagnostics don't report any errors, and I can't find anything wrong.

Anyone have an idea on this, it has me stumped?

Mario

Quoteif I have only a RAF original and then I create a TIF version, the TIF version does not show up in a rescan.

Do you mean that IMatch does not 'see' the new file in the folder?
This would be very strange and I've never heard about such a thing.

1. Switch IMatch do debug logging under Help > Support.
2. Rescan a folder where (Right-click the folder, then <Shift>+<F5>) IMatch is not seeing some files.
3. ZIP and attach the log file.

Do you see folders with the yellow off-line icon?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

jonz

No, the folders do not have the off-line icon.

Here is the zip file. In line 805, the tif file with name appended "test" has been edited. The cache image does not update when I rescan and also, as I said, the folder icon does not change - it's stuck on showing the folder needs to be rescanned but when I rescan it always stays indicating need to rescan. Same for other folders on this external drive. Edits to files are not updated, and folders are flagged the same. If I edit a file in an unflagged folder the folder stays unflagged.

Mario

The log file scans a large number of RAF and TIF files (see the CIMEngine5::AddOrUpdateFile entries). All files have the same timestamp that is recorded for them in the database and hence IMatch considers them as up-to-date and does nothing. This behavior is correct.

You edit files in what? Which application? Maybe the other application has still a lock on the files? Or maybe it does not update the "last modified" timestamp of the files in the file system?

What kind of device is J: ? Maybe a remote server? NAS?

Did you try a forced rescan of the folder to reload all files unconditionally? <Shift>+<Ctrl>+<F5> after clicking on the folder node  in the Media & Folders tree or hold down <Ctrl> while selecting Rescan from the menu.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

jonz

I relocated the drive to the same drive letter and then purged the cache for one directory, and now the folder icon updates and the thumbnail images are acting correctly.

The first rescan seems to automatically rebuild the cache now, and things are working as I expect them to.

If moving a database between computers what should happen with the cache?

Mario

If you move a database between computers you also need to move the cache of course. Otherwise IMatch has to rebuild the cache from scratch. See the IMatch help for the Cache for more info, also Pack & Go.

Why did you need to relocate the folder? If images stay on the same disk, no relocation is needed. If a relocation is needed, IMatch shows the folder as off-line anyway.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

jonz

My question adding on to this thread is can/should I move an outdated cache?

I have used the new cache for about two weeks. It has 5.8k files in 21 folders and is 3.8gb. The previous cache, is 24k files in 330 folders and 26gb.

Should I move the outdated cache or should I keep building the new one? I have not added a lot of new photos in the last two weeks but I have edited metadata, etc.

Is moving the cache a question of moving the cache files only?

Mario

IMatch creates cache files on-demand, when they are first needed. Just let it build the cache.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

jonz