Trying to fix Incorrect Date/Time because Camera was not Set before the shoot

Started by kiwilink, October 10, 2016, 05:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiwilink

My daughter went with us on vacation and shot over 1,000 pictures.  When I went to bring them into IMATCH I realized she was 12 hours off because she had the camera set incorrectly.  I want to process these all at once and try and fix them just changing the "Hour" but not changing the minutes and seconds.  Because some pictures were shot in the afternoon this throws the "day" off also.

I read the thread Mario has from 2014 and I know changing the "correct" metadata tag is a challenge.  My question is this:  Is there an easy way for me to fix these pictures?  Should I do this outside of IMATCH using a tool like Geosetter or is that even necessary?  Years ago I used a 3rd party tool to change dates and it caused me severe issues with an older version of IMATCH and Mario was very helpful and warned me  about changing date and time with 3rd party products.

I'm looking for the best  way to fix these and not damage these vacation pictures.  Should I just use the Modify EXIF Date/Time tool in IMATCH or is there more I should do to fix this?  I use IMATCH and as a young girl she does not so once I am done I will want to export all of her JPEG's to a DVD with the new modified date. I thought maybe I could use the batch processor within IMATCH to write these fixed images out to a new directory.

Does this sound like the right approach?

Thanks!!

pajaro

Quote from: kiwilink on October 10, 2016, 05:42:24 PM

I'm looking for the best  way to fix these and not damage these vacation pictures.  Should I just use the Modify EXIF Date/Time tool in IMATCH or is there more I should do to fix this?  I use IMATCH and as a young girl she does not so once I am done I will want to export all of her JPEG's to a DVD with the new modified date. I thought maybe I could use the batch processor within IMATCH to write these fixed images out to a new directory.

Does this sound like the right approach?

Thanks!!

It happened to me several times and I used the Modify EXIF Date and Time in Match (use Relative and set 12 Hours) to fix it. However, in some cases I had to remove all metadata first to get it work.  I still do not understand why this was needed for some images, while for others all worked well.

Pavel.

Mario

The Commands > Image > Modify EXIF Date & Time is the tool to use for this. Dial in an offset of 12 hours and run it on any number of files.
This usually just works. IMatch takes care that EXIF and XMP (and IPTC) timestamps are synchronized.

Did you try it yet? Does it not produce the correct result?

Note: For typical images, "created" and "digitized" should be set to the same time.

The "digitized" timestamp is usually only different when the image is produced by a scanner and thus the time the photo was created differs from the time the photo was digitized.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

jch2103

Quote from: pajaro on October 10, 2016, 06:08:04 PM
It happened to me several times and I used the Modify EXIF Date and Time in Match (use Relative and set 12 Hours) to fix it.

This has worked well for me. It's quick and easy. No issues in my cases, although they can happen if metadata problems are lurking in some of your images.
John

kiwilink

Mario,jch2103,pajaro:

Thanks for the responses.  The Modify EXIF Date and Time seem to work great during my test.  However, I have not yet been able to drag and drop the changed file to the Image Batch Processor and create a duplicate to a separate directory.  I chose the Preset "Original" but when it makes a copy it is a much larger file.  I think it could be a setting but I don't know which one.  Under units the default is Unit = pixel and Resolution = 72.  Maybe it is this setting that is wrong.  All the others seem to be turned off.

Kiwilink

Mario

Do you just want to copy a file into another folder?

In that case you can use drag & drop inside IMatch. Or press <Ctrl>+<C> to copy the source file(s) into the clipboard and then press <Ctrl>+<V> to paste them into the target folder (inside IMatch). Very similar to how you copy or move files in Windows Explorer.

The Batch Processor is used to convert files into other formats, change the dimensions, add text or borders.

The output size can vary from the size of the source files, because the Batch Processor reads the original, applies whatever settings you use, and then writes a new file. A highly compressed JPEG as the source can produce a larger output file if the compression quality in the Batch Processor is set to high.

You did not give enough details to tell you more.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

kiwilink

Mario:

Thanks so much for the response.  The drag and drop worked fine.  I knew I could do this but I incorrectly thought it was more complicated than that. Thanks again.

I do have one other question about the batch processor.  I have attached two examples of my settings using the preset "Original" which I don't think I modified.  On my attachment should I set the resolution to match the EXIF data (unit = inches and 300 DPI)?  Also, under format and size I had chosen the output format and resize to 100 because I was originally trying to make an exact duplicate.  I did not use any of the other settings.   I was never able to make an exact copy.  Is there something else that would affect the size?

Thanks Mario for all the help!

Mike 

Mario

The DPI unit you configure there controls how the Batch Processor interprets your measures when you use a message other than pixel.
If you use the unit inch and you add a border 1 inch wide, it will have 72 pixel when the DPI is set to 72 and 300 pixel when the DPI is set to 300.

If your unit is pixel and you specify all measures in pixel so this has no effect. It's written into the output file as-is, so applications who care can interpret the suggested resolution of the file.

The output size can vary, even if you do a 100% conversion because of different compression ratios, more or less effective compressors, noise introduced be repeated save operations (and which then reduces the capabilities of the JPEG compressor to compress the image data). The compressor in the Batch Processor goes for quality first. Try to drop the quality to 60% and check again how large the output file is.

But to just copy files, use drag & drop or copy/paste.

I suggest you re-read the help topic File Management. You may miss many other useful commands. It's hard to keep everything in mind if you don't use it often. A quick refresher by reading the corresponding help topic is very useful. I also use the help often, I cannot keep every detail of IMatch i my head - just too much good stuff in that software
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator