Changing cataegories

Started by cthomas, September 25, 2016, 11:54:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cthomas

When I put  8 images in the Mushrooms cataloge why does the Mushrooms category I took the 8 images from not decrease?
Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

JohnZeman

When you add images to any category it does not remove those images from any other category.

So if you want them removed from the other category you have to do that separately.

I'm guessing you are thinking about images in the media and folders view, there an image can only be in one place.

cthomas

Quote from: JohnZeman on September 26, 2016, 12:28:29 AM
When you add images to any category it does not remove those images from any other category.

So if you want them removed from the other category you have to do that separately.

I'm guessing you are thinking about images in the media and folders view, there an image can only be in one place.

What I'm trying to do is put all of my images in IMatch. 1. I coyped and droped my images onto the category Files by Date. Now I want to move each month to it's category in the Universal Catalog. Now I go back to the month category and move another image to a category in the Universal Catalog. I do this until the month category emptied by moving each image to a category in the Universal Catalog. Now I know that those  have been categorized. And that they are not just haggling out there some where. 
Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

Mario

QuoteI coyped and droped my images onto the category Files by Date.

Is "Files By Date" the category we had created the other week? This is a data-driven category which fill itself, from the metadata in your files. You don't additionally assign images to this category by hand. This messes everything up.

QuoteNow I want to move each month to it's category in the Universal Catalog. Now I go back to the month category and move another image to a category in the Universal Catalog.

This cannot work. You cannot move images out of a data-driven category. A data-driven category like "2016 | September | 1" fills itself by looking at the files in your database and then assigning all files taken on that date to itself.

I'm not sure that I can follow your workflow here, sorry.
You did not want to use the Timeline. You wanted a separate data-driven category for the same purpose. In addition to the files automatically managed by the "Files by Date" category hierarchy we created for you you now assigned files manually ? And then move them to other categories?

What is the purpose of all this?
Can you please describe, in simple words and detail what it is you are trying do to?
It seems were are running in circles here...

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

cthomas

Quote from: Mario on September 26, 2016, 06:58:15 PM
QuoteI coyped and droped my images onto the category Files by Date.

Is "Files By Date" the category we had created the other week? Yes

Thanks for the information. This is a data-driven category which fill itself, from the metadata in your files. You don't additionally assign images to this category by hand. This messes everything up.

QuoteNow I want to move each month to it's category in the Universal Catalog. Now I go back to the month category and move another image to a category in the Universal Catalog.

Thanks for the information.This cannot work. You cannot move images out of a data-driven category. A data-driven category like "2016 | September | 1" fills itself by looking at the files in your database and then assigning all files taken on that date to itself.

Quote from: Carll on September 26, 2016, 06:58:15 PMI'm not sure that I can follow your workflow here, sorry. .
Let me try again to show you my workflow. :(
1. I want to copy and drop all of my images into IMatch.
2. Now I want all of my images to be categorized by year, month, and day.  data-driven So that I can work with these  to put these in there finial categorizes in the in the Universal Catalog.When I categorizes them in them in the Universal Catalog This will empty the year, month, or day. Doing this I can work with smaller numbers instead of 64,389 ata time.

You did not want to use the Timeline. You wanted a separate data-driven category for the same purpose. In addition to the files automatically managed by the "Files by Date" category hierarchy we created for you you now assigned files manually ? And then move them to other categories?

I Did not realize this???.

What is the purpose of all this?

I am lookig for an easy way to get all of these files categorized  in the Universal Catalog.
When using IMatch 3 Richard and Claudermilk they said to break down all of these 64,389 images by using a category like year, month, and day.

Sorray about this. I hope the above information helps.

:)All I want to do is categorize my images into my Universal Catalog.

Can you please describe, in simple words and detail what it is you are trying do to?
See if this helps? Can I use one of these?

How can I get into http://ptforum.photoolsweb.com/ubbthreads.php There was some information in it that I liked read over.
Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

hluxem

QuoteLet me try again to show you my workflow. :(
2. Now I want all of my images to be categorized by year, month, and day. So that I can work with these  to put these in there finial categorizes in the in the Universal Catalog.When I categorizes them in them in the Universal Catalog This will empty the year, month, or day. Doing this I can work with smaller numbers instead of 64,389 ata time.

I think what you need is the data driven category for year month or day used with a category filter. You can create a category "Not Assigned" and use this category as a filter for the data driven year month day category. When you are done assigning a group of pictures, unassign them from the "Not assigned" category and they will not show in the data driven category anymore. To make it even a little easier, you can assign this category automatically when you index the new pictures.

To filter for a category, right click on the data driven category, select Advanced Commands, Data-driven Properties. A window opens, just add the category you created before in the field "category filter". Pplease make sure you do that on each level, you can select the level on the top.

To add all new files to the filter category automatically, select the menu Edit, Preferences. In the preference window select the indexing tab. On the right side it says "add files to category", select the filter category under new files and all new files will be assigned to this category.

jch2103

Quote from: cthomas on September 26, 2016, 10:25:16 PM
2. Now I want all of my images to be categorized by year, month, and day.  data-driven So that I can work with these  to put these in there finial categorizes in the in the Universal Catalog.When I categorizes them in them in the Universal Catalog This will empty the year, month, or day. Doing this I can work with smaller numbers instead of 64,389 ata time.

Can you clarify things a bit more? The screen shot you posted above (https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=5940.msg40991#msg40991) appears to show IMatch 3; is that correct? If so, I gather you haven't converted your IMatch 3 database to an IMatch 5 database. Or did I misunderstand?

If you have an IMatch 3 database and then convert it to IMatch 5, your Universal Catalog categories (and assignments of individual files to it) should be in your new IMatch 5 database, if I recall the conversion process correctly. There's more about the conversion process in the Help.

On the other hand, if you're already working with all of your images in IMatch 5, you don't really need to create a new data-driven category based on dates. You can use the Timeline view to view images into time-based groups and use the Categories Panel (lower right side of the IMatch window) to assign images to particular categories. They will then show up the proper places in the Categories view.

Let us know if any of this isn't clear, or if I'm wrong about your process.

John

John

cthomas

Quote from: jch2103 on September 27, 2016, 06:43:27 AM
Quote from: cthomas on September 26, 2016, 10:25:16 PM

Can you clarify things a bit more? The screen shot you posted above (https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=5940.msg40991#msg40991) appears to show IMatch 3; is that correct? If so, I gather you haven't converted your IMatch 3 database to an IMatch 5 database. Or did I misunderstand?

If you have an IMatch 3 database and then convert it to IMatch 5, your Universal Catalog categories (and assignments of individual files to it) should be in your new IMatch 5 database, if I recall the conversion process correctly. There's more about the conversion process in the Help.

On the other hand, if you're already working with all of your images in IMatch 5, you don't really need to create a new data-driven category based on dates. You can use the Timeline view to view images into time-based groups and use the Categories Panel (lower right side of the IMatch window) to assign images to particular categories. They will then show up the proper places in the Categories view.

QuoteLet us know if any of this isn't clear, or if I'm wrong about your process.
John

Back when I was using IMatch 3 I had over 64,389 images and I asked the question "What was the best way to get my images categorized?" And of the three suggestions I Richard and Claudermilk suggested that I use a catgeory that would break all of my images into year, month, and day and categorize them into my Universal Catalog categories when each of those categories(year, month and day) became empty then I would know they were in the right category.

This other image was another workflow that was suggested that I use. So what I  want to do is to break down all of these images (64,389) into smaller chucks. So it would be easier to categorize. 

And I no longer use IMatch 3. Except when I want use it for a reference like here. I use IMatch 5

Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

Mario

Quotesuggested that I use a catgeory that would break all of my images into year, month, and day

IMatch 5 automatically manages this for you in the timeline. To find an image by the year, month or even day it was taken, just click the corresponding node in the Timeline View. To open the Timeline View, go to View menu > Views > Timeline.

QuoteSo what I  want to do is to break down all of these images (64,389) into smaller chucks. So it would be easier to categorize. 

The Timeline breaks your images down to the single day level. I suggest you work from the Timeline View while you categorize your images.
Open the Category Panel (View menu > Panels > ...) and the Quick View Panel so you can see the file you're currently working with.

The Favorites panel will prove useful if you need to assign to the same categories often.

Something like this, for a start (click to enlarge):

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Erik

I'm guessing in IMatch 3 you problem had some simple categories for dates rather than data-driven ones.  In that case, you could do what you are looking for. 

In IMatch 5, you won't be able to do that if you are using data-driven categories (or the timeline). 

However, in terms of workflow, I think you are a small step from something that will work for you.

For my workflow, I setup a category tree that I call "Maintenance" and underneath it, I setup a series of sub-categories based on "Needs".  For example, I have a category:

"Needs Location"
"Needs What"
"Needs Who"

and a few others.  Each of the above Needs is a formula category based on a different corresponding category tree... e.g. "Location", "People", "What", etc.

The formula is basically along the lines of @all NOT "What".

The number of images in those categories end up being the number of images that Need to be assigned to the appropriate categories (or keywords in my case). 

When I originally started this process for my catalog, I refined the category formulas to further restrict myself to years, so I could work one year at a time.  Or, I would use a category filter while working folder by folder.  The number of images in such categories essentially goes down as I take care of the needed assignments.  Once you are done, you can go to a more global system as I describe, which encourages you to keep up to date by keeping the number of images in those categories as near to 0 as possible. 

Finally, my New and Updated images go into a category under this same Maintenance tree so that I might verify everything is completed.  Sometimes an image might have more than 1 "what" or "who", and I don't necessarily want to lose track of it because it has gotten assigned.  I often do my processing within the New and Updated categories first and use the "Needs" to verify I've completed everything.

cthomas

This sounds like what I was doing. Can you show some more detail and/or workflow? Maybe something like this?

Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

cthomas

Quote from: Mario on September 27, 2016, 07:41:35 PM
Quotesuggested that I use a catgeory that would break all of my images into year, month, and day

IMatch 5 automatically manages this for you in the timeline. To find an image by the year, month or even day it was taken, just click the corresponding node in the Timeline View. To open the Timeline View, go to View menu > Views > Timeline.

QuoteSo what I  want to do is to break down all of these images (64,389) into smaller chucks. So it would be easier to categorize. 

The Timeline breaks your images down to the single day level. I suggest you work from the Timeline View while you categorize your images.
Open the Category Panel (View menu > Panels > ...) and the Quick View Panel so you can see the file you're currently working with.

The Favorites panel will prove useful if you need to assign to the same categories often.

Mario I can't get anything yo show in the Quick View or it shows "This file cannot be displayed."
[/b]
Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

cthomas

Quote from: cthomas on September 27, 2016, 09:20:36 PM

Mario I can't get anything to show in the Quick View or it shows "This file cannot be displayed."
[/b]

How can I get into http://ptforum.photoolsweb.com/ubbthreads.php There was some information in it that I liked read over.

Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

Mario

Carl,

you are quoting entire posts, and then quote these again.
I find this very confusing. Do you want to ask a question or was this a mistake?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Erik

Quote from: cthomas on September 27, 2016, 09:14:33 PM
This sounds like what I was doing. Can you show some more detail and/or workflow? Maybe something like this?

I'd have to look at it back home, but yes, it is essentially the same thing. 

With IMatch 5, I just utilize those categories as a filter where-ever I am at.  So if I use the timeline, I can select the node (year, date, etc) and then use the filter panel to filter on my maintenance category. 

As mentioned earlier, I usually work from folders (which represent shoots or individual dates) with a filter on one or more of those categories.  So, if I select my folder: "20160901 - Linnea", I will initially see all the photos in that folder. 

I then go to the Filter panel.  I then choose the categories option and select my "Needs What" category (What is my catchall for what my photo is of)  I am very specific because if I had a "Needs Category", as soon as it is assigned to a category, then it is removed.  In fact, when files are imported, they are automatically assigned to a category "Maintenance.New".  As I assign the images in the folder to categories directly under the category it needs, it is removed from the window because the filter is no longer valid (the image is no longer in that category).  Once the folder appears empty, I change the filter to the next Need Category and so forth until I am done. 

IMatch 5 makes it really easy to do whatever you'd like in that regard. I love the Filters, so I use those. In Imatch 3, I used to just make more complicated categories and edit the formulas everytime I needed an edit. 

Finally, I mostly use Keywords and other Metadata for a lot of this, but the process is the same.  @Keywords essentially makes all keywords a category, and the formulas allow you to use a lot of metadata.  For that matter, you can also filter on metadata (and invert the filter if you need blanks). 

I'll see if I can't get some screen shots in the next day or two to illustrate some of this.

cthomas

Quote from: Mario on September 27, 2016, 10:03:08 PM
Carl,

I find this very confusing. Do you want to ask a question or was this a mistake?

Oppuss. I need to ask a question.  Why can't I get these two Quick View's to work?

And the last question is: How can I get into http://ptforum.photoolsweb.com/ubbthreads.php There was some information in it that I liked read over.
Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

jch2103

Quote from: cthomas on September 28, 2016, 11:02:42 PM
Oppuss. I need to ask a question.  Why can't I get these two Quick View's to work?

You need to select the file in the file window that you want to see in Quick View. In your first screenshot, you have a .WAV file selected. In your second screenshot, you have a .DOC file selected. Try a jpg file or raw file.

ps - Note that for the .WAV file, Quick View shows controls to actually play the file. It does this for all audio and video files.
John

cthomas

Quote from: cthomas on September 28, 2016, 11:02:42 PM
Carl,

And the last question is: How can I get into http://ptforum.photoolsweb.com/ubbthreads.php There was some information in it that I liked read over.
Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

cthomas

Carl,

Mario Oppuss. I need to ask a question.  Why can't I get these two Quick View's to work?

Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

Erik

The answer was given a few posts up.

Those aren't image files, so there is nothing to view.  Wave files are audio, so perhaps you should get the player controls, but there isn't anything to "view".  And, not only are they audio, but Wave files don't typically have metadata, at least not like you get with MP3 or M4A files.

And the other one is a Microsoft Word document.  I don't think the viewer was designed to render those files.

Mario

1. WAV files have no thumbnails so IMatch can show only the icon.

2. For Office documents (Word) IMatch uses the embedded preview in the document to produce the thumbnail. You need to configure Word to embed a preview image in the .DOC(X), it does not do this by default.

3. The ubbthreads link you are asking for is dead. The old user forum has been on-line but disabled for two years now. It wend away when I dismantled the old server some weeks ago.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

cthomas

Quote from: Mario on September 30, 2016, 06:27:14 PM
1. WAV files have no thumbnails so IMatch can show only the icon.

2. For Office documents (Word) IMatch uses the embedded preview in the document to produce the thumbnail. You need to configure Word to embed a preview image in the .DOC(X), it does not do this by default.

3. The ubbthreads link you are asking for is dead. The old user forum has been on-line but disabled for two years now. It wend away when I dismantled the old server some weeks ago.

1. Thanks Maro.

2. Would you show me how to configure Word to embed a preview image in the .DOC(X),

3. So there is no way :'( for me to to get to that information.  :'(
Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

zematima

Hi:
Try this to save a thumbnail:
Press the F12 key to open the Save As dialog box.
Near the bottom of the Save As dialog box, check the box labeled "Save Thumbnail."
Click Save to save the changes made.
Your file is now saved with a preview image.
This is for Word 207 , 2010 , 2013 and 2016

Saving All Word Files with Thumbnails
If you would like all documents you save in Word to automatically include a preview/thumbnail image, you can change this default setting by following these steps:
For Word 2010, 2013 and 2016
Click on the File tab.
Click Info in the left menu.
On the far right you will see the properties list. Click on Properties (there is a small down arrow next to it), and then click Advanced Properties from the menu.
Click the Summary tab.
At the bottom of the dialog box, check the box labeled "Save Thumbnails for All Word Documents."
Click OK.
Hope it helps.
JRosa.

cthomas

Quote from: zematima on October 01, 2016, 09:30:32 PM
Hi:
Saving All Word Files with Thumbnails
If you would like all documents you save in Word to automatically include a preview/thumbnail image, you can change this default setting by following these steps:
For Word 2010, 2013 and 2016
Click on the File tab.
Click Info in the left menu.
On the far right you will see the properties list. Click on Properties (there is a small down arrow next to it), and then click Advanced Properties from the menu.
Click the Summary tab.
At the bottom of the dialog box, check the box labeled "Save Thumbnails for All Word Documents."
Click OK.
Hope it helps.
JRosa.

Hi JRosa. Is my version right. I can't get any of this to work?

Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

cthomas

Can you give me an example of this
Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

cthomas

Can you give me an example of this.(The Favorites panel will prove useful if you need to assign to the same categories often. )
Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

Mario

QuoteCan you give me an example of this.(The Favorites panel will prove useful if you need to assign to the same categories often. )

Favorites can save you a lot of work and can speed up your workflow considerably. For example:

1. The Category History in the Favorites panel automatically lists the recently used categories.

2. You may want to create Favorites for frequently used categories (normal categories only, does not work for data-driven categories). (Just drag the categories from the Categories Panel to the Favorites panel and drop them). Then you can assign these categories (or un-assign them) with a single mouse click on the Favorite 'button'. Furthermore, you can assign keyboard shortcuts to Favorites. Which can speed up your workflow a lot because you can quickly assign categories without moving between keyboard and mouse.

3. You can even create Favorites which assign multiple categories at once. Select multiple categories in the Category View and drop them to the Favorites panel.

Also keep an eye on the Recent tab in the Category Panel. It shows recently used categories. But it also shows images to which you recently assigned categories, and you can quickly assign the same categories to the currently selected file by just clicking on it.

As always, the details of how the Favorite panel and the Category panels work are in the IMatch help. Click the panel to make it active, then press <F1> to open the help.
Read it, try out the examples, and soon you'll know if specific features will be helpful for you, or not.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

zematima

Hi cthomas:
Open a file in Word (I am using Office 2016).
The files attached are in Portuguese but the steps should be the same in other language.
Then go to File and then Info.
Click on the little arrow on Properties (file Properties 1.jpg)
Choose Advanced Properties.
Click the Summary tab.
At the bottom of the dialog box, check the box labeled "Save Thumbnails for All Word Documents."(File Box.jpg)
Click OK.
Best regards,
JRosa.