I can not see the dehazer-effect of ACR

Started by RainerG, April 21, 2016, 10:16:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RainerG

I use the dehazer-function with ACR, after IMatch Update the thumbnail, i can not see the dehazer-effect. All the other settings of ACR i can see.

What is wrong?

RainerGausH
www.BunteReisebilder.de

Mario

Which file format are you using?

Usually, all effects and other settings you apply in ACR/LR are only recorded as instructions inside the proprietary sections of the XMP record of the image. Only the render engine in ACR/LR can read and interpret these instructions and apply them to the image. These virtual edits are not visible in other applications like IMatch.

If you use DNG files, ACR/LR update the embedded preview and the image shows up in IMatch with a proper rendition of the final result. If you use another RAW format, this is not possible.

When you use 'virtual edits' in software like ACR, LR, Capture One, SilkyPix etc. you lock yourself into these applications. Your changes only exist inside the databases of these products, or maybe in some proprietary sidecar file or XMP section. Only the original application can read these instructions and apply them to the image. You can see your changes only in other applications (e.g. IMatch) when you export the final image, e.g., into a JPEG file, a TIFF, PSD or DNG file.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Carlo Didier

You can see the "processed" version of your RAW files if you use the DNG format and let ACR (automatically) or Lightroom (manually ... kills LR for me) update the embedded preview which iMatch then uses.

RainerG

Oh! I forget to say in which format i work - sorry!

I work with the newest version og Photoshop CC & ACR and i work with DNGs.

In ACR i have many blue in the sky in IMatch it is all grey :-(.

Look at t he pic. Left is ACR, right is IMatch.

[attachment deleted by admin]
RainerGausH
www.BunteReisebilder.de

Mario

Make sure ACR is configured to update the preview in the DNG.
As long as your changes are only in the XMP data, the WIC codec cannot see them.
You can send me the DNG. I can look at it with WIC diagnosis tools to see what the embedded preview really contains.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

RainerG

Make sure ACR is configured to update the preview in the DNG.
Yes, it is.

QuoteAs long as your changes are only in the XMP data, the WIC codec cannot see them.
I have no XMP data

QuoteYou can send me the DNG. I can look at it with WIC diagnosis tools to see what the embedded preview really contains.
I can see all the other effects like "Klarheit",  "Sättigung", "Dynamik", ... but not the effect from the "Dunstfilter"/dehazer. ExifToolGUI show me the same pic like IMatch (without dehazer effect)!!!

*grübel* Photoshop bug??
RainerGausH
www.BunteReisebilder.de

Mario

You of course have XMP data. ACR always creates an XMP record with the changes and settings you make and stores it inside the DNG file.

These settings need to be read by the Adobe render engine and then applied to the RAW data in the DNG file to make it look as you expect. And only when ACR updates the embedded preview in the ACR with the final result, the image will look as you see it in ACR. All edits and changes you make in ACR/LR to a RAW file are only 'virtual' and are only accessible to your Adobe software. Only when you persist these changes by exporting the image into a standard format like JPEG or TIFF, or you update the embedded preview in the DNG file, your edits can be seen by non-Adobe software - which is why virtual edits are a great tool for Adobe to lock customers into their product line.

If ExifTool GUI extracts the preview and does not show the effect, the effect has not been applied to the file by your Adobe software. I suggest you call Adobe support and ask for advice.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Carlo Didier

I just did a test on two DNGs. On one I applied a general Dehaze effect, on the other a local adjustment with dehaze. Both were correctly applied to the previews and automatically picked up by iMatch.
See attached screenshot for the ACR setting you need.
Maybe your DNG is somehow corrupt. Try explicitely updating it's preview (second screenshot).

RainerG

Quote from: Carlo Didier on April 23, 2016, 09:57:30 AM
I just did a test on two DNGs. On one I applied a general Dehaze effect, on the other a local adjustment with dehaze. Both were correctly applied to the previews and automatically picked up by iMatch.
See attached screenshot for the ACR setting you need.
Maybe your DNG is somehow corrupt. Try explicitely updating it's preview (second screenshot).

At first: Thanks you for your efforts!

I have set 'Update the embedded jpg ...'

Update DNG-previews has no effect.

I try this with some DNGs.

In Bridge, Photoshop CC, LR and Win10 Explorer i can see the pic correctly, with all effects/settings, also the dehaze-effect.

In IMatch and ExifToolGUI i can see the all effects/settings from ACR/LR, but NOT the dehaze effect.
RainerGausH
www.BunteReisebilder.de

Mario

As I said above, provide a sample. Which WIC codec do you have installed?
That Adobe software can see your effects is normal, they read the instructions form the XMP. But Windows also extracts the embedded preview via the installed DNG WIC codec on your system, and thus usually shows the same as IMatch. Except your DNG files contain multiple previews and Windows chooses another one.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

RainerG

Here are a sample-pic (as dng and jpg - extremely edited)
www.gnuelps.de/_diverses/pictures.zip
The dng i can see correctly in the Windows Explorer, but not in IMatch or ExifToolGUI.

I have the DNG-Codec-Pack 2.0 installed
https://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=194&platform=Windows
(a newer one, i can not found).
RainerGausH
www.BunteReisebilder.de

Mario

This is how the DNG and JPG look on my system:

This is also how it looks in Windows Explorer and in Microsoft's WIC testing tools.

Seems the DNG codec you use is not up to it. Ask Adobe for support - ha-ha.
I use the FastPictureViewer codecs.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

RainerG

After installing the FastPictureViewer codec (trial) it looks very good :-). I can see the dehazer-effect in IMatch (and ExifToolGUI).

I will test this configuration and see what happens after the test phase.

10 Dollar is ok!
(But what means reg. $ 14,99 ??)

THX for the FastPictureViewer-Tip   :)
RainerGausH
www.BunteReisebilder.de

RainerG

After testtime and deinstalling fastpictureviewer, existing images retain the effect, but pics made new with the dehazer-effect but with new images it is not present.

Now I bought the program and reinstalled and it runs :-).

I had to update only new images with dehaze-effect.
RainerGausH
www.BunteReisebilder.de