Google's nik photo filter collection now available for free:

Started by Mario, March 25, 2016, 12:57:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mario

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

jeknepley

A comprehensive (best on the planet ;)) set of Nik Collection tutorials can be found on my blog at http://edknepleyphoto.com/table-of-contents/

jch2103

Thank you.
John

J.D. McDowell

I know having these great plugins for free seems great at first (I own and use them all) in the end however I'm a little saddened by it.

Goggle's buying Nik was the final death knell for Capture NX2, and now they're ensuring no further future development of the plugins, as who would invest in something with no monetary value.

If Google wants to break and remake something in its own image why don't they do it with something more socially responsible, like food or gassoline? (Just kidding (?))  ::)

Mario

The way I see it, Google wanted to get a hand at the know-how available at nik's.
The re-financed the deal by selling the software to a larger audience at a lower price for some time.

Now they have integrated the technology into whatever existing or future products, they have no interest anymore in allocating resources to the standard nik product line and give it away for free. This is a typical pattern for Google, when they loose interest they discontinue products and services - the annual 'spring cleaning'.

That Google will be re-introducing 'nik-like' filters in some sort of web-based image editing product is very likely. But they need to get you to use these services, upload your photos into the Google cloud to make money from it.

Google has no interest in desktop products which are outside their reach. Google is all about collecting data, profiling users (this means you!) and then monetizing this data in as many ways as possible. This is the sole purpose of all the 'free' services and products they offer. Images and software sitting on your PC, under your control, have no monetary value for Google and hence are of no interest to them.

You get a set of pretty cool filters for free. I say, use them as long as they work. Maybe the next Photoshop update breaks the compatibility because the filters check for a version or something. Maybe they work for many years. Great value either way - as long as you stay in control of your images and data.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Menace

Quote from: Mario on March 28, 2016, 08:46:16 AM
You get a set of pretty cool filters for free. I say, use them as long as they work. Maybe the next Photoshop update breaks the compatibility because the filters check for a version or something. Maybe they work for many years. Great value either way - as long as you stay in control of your images and data.

I already have they all (payed, some years ago). But with C1 I just used Silver Efex and Vivaza a little. At least, As I remember they can also work standalone?!

jeknepley

Quote from: Menace on March 28, 2016, 11:57:33 AM
I already have they all (payed, some years ago). But with C1 I just used Silver Efex and Vivaza a little. At least, As I remember they can also work standalone?!

Yes, they can be used standalone. For details check out the tutorials I mentioned in an earlier post.

lnh

Maybe going free is also a reflection of what Google thinks of the viability of the desktop photo editing app market long term. Maybe just for the hard core photographers. I HATE photo editing on my phone with a finger's width of inaccuracy and non-calibrated screens, but still find myself doing it more often for simple stuff. WiFi upload from camera and use Pixlr or Snapseed.

Mario

For Google, the desktop is totally uninteresting. Google's business is selling ads and our data.
They cannot get your data when you work with desktop apps. Which is why Picasa has been discontinued and why they give away the photo filters for free.
They wanted the nik technology and they will soon offer it in some sort of online photo editor or similar. Only then they can learn more about us. Giving the filters away for free is probably just a trick to save taxes.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator