"search nearby" command on the map

Started by kirk, October 05, 2015, 10:59:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kirk

So we could click  the map and instantly get the coordinates into gps filter dialog to see all nearby pictures. I mean not from "selected file" but rather from a point on the map.

Carlo Didier

I would love that!
(though it's really a very nice to have thing, but not a high priority)

Mario

How would that be implemented?
There are many open questions I come up with after thinking for a minute...

What is "nearby"?
Would there be a fixed radius (100m? 50m? 10m? 1000m?)
Would you like to enter the radius?
Or maybe a drop-down list with some pre-defined radi? Or may be a drop-down list and a way for the user to enter a radius?
Or maybe you would set a center point and then draw a circle on the map?
Or maybe a polygon so you can include arbitrary shaped areas in your selection? This would not work with the GPS filter, though.
Would you like to just fill the GPS filter with the coordinates and radius? Or maybe just open the files in a result window for further processing?
What about vertical distance (Altitude)? Important? Yes? How to put in?

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Ferdinand

Quote from: Mario on October 09, 2015, 03:12:27 PM
Would you like to enter the radius?

This would work for me.

Or maybe a drop-down list with some pre-defined radi? Or may be a drop-down list and a way for the user to enter a radius?

This would also work, esp the last bit.

Or maybe you would set a center point and then draw a circle on the map?
Or maybe a polygon so you can include arbitrary shaped areas in your selection? This would not work with the GPS filter, though.

Not of interest to me.  Too complicated.

Would you like to just fill the GPS filter with the coordinates and radius?

Not really.  Adds an extra step.

Or maybe just open the files in a result window for further processing?

A good idea.  I like result windows!

What about vertical distance (Altitude)? Important? Yes? How to put in?

Not important.  I don't find it accurate enough, esp if the data comes from a GPS logger or hand-held unit.

chis

I like the idea and agree with Ferdinand's and Kirk's suggestions. Not a high priority, but would make iMatch more rich from a location perspective.

Mario

Do you know the Search menu > GPS search command?
It finds files nearby the selected file and can also find files nearby one of your locations.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Mario

IMatch 5.5 has a "Find files nearby..." command in the context menu of target and file markers. You can enter the range to check and then IMatch finds all files within that range and opens them in a result window.

There is no also a "Goto file" command which focuses the file associated with the marker for which you run this command.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator