Database in trouble

Started by HGF, August 24, 2015, 01:29:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HGF

Hello, currently my database is running into trouble  :-[ . I moved db and cache to a new HD. Images are still existing on old HD, filepath are NOT changed. When opening db, automation tries to update everything and is creating new folders in an unstructured way. I stopped all automation and forced a manually update on  folder called "Imatch 5 test" - and again Imatch is NOT updating existing folder but creating a new folder. (see screenshots). When moving images from new folder into old one the images are moved into trash. All db maintanance is done without error messages. How can I survive my existing folderstructure in Imatch (on HD the folderstructure has not been changed - thanks god),
HG

Additional information: because of a HD crash, operating system (Win10) and Imatch were new installed.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mario

Moving a database or the cache to a new disk has no impact on the database itself.
Why would IMatch add folders to your database? There is no function which automatically adds folders to a database, unless you have a) enabled extended file system monitoring under Edit > Preferences > Indexing and you make changes in one or more folders already in your database - or another app has changed something,. Then IMatch starts scanning the folder to bring in new files and sub-folders.

But that has nothing to do with moving a database around. Or did you move the database into a folder that is indexed in your database, thus causing infinite updates? See also the 'Database' topic in the help about more info.

I move databases between disks all the time. IMatch has never started to add new folders to a database.
What did you do, exactly, step by step?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

HGF

Mario, this is why I'm wondering. I changed path as well, never got problems. Don't know what's going wrong. Created a testing area "Z-IMatch5 Test" with 31 different kind of files in this particular folder. Previously I removed and added files manually. Now Imatch is telling me update is necessary because of content has changed, what is okay. (Pic 1), I forced an update (Pic2) . See in pic 3 the result. "Z-IMatch5 Test" hasn't been updated, still 28 pics, and marked as update required. And now, what makes me confusing, a new folder is created in the root of the database E:/Fotos (not on HD, just in db) (PIC4). The content in new created db folder is correct, deleted files are removed, new files are added, in total 30 images what it correct. When enabling automatic background updating, it seems Imatch db is scanning complete HD and trying to create new unstructured folders. As you can imagine, I stopped this processes for now. What has been changed? I did a lot of work with variations what is a relly helpful feature (I don't want to do it again), HD with Imatch db crashed and was replaced. DB backup was available and copied to new HD. From there on my frustration is increasing. Best HG

Mario

I'm not quite sure I understand everything you say.

1. You created a new folder "e:\Fotos\Z-IMatch5 Test". Where? In IMatch? Windows Explorer?
2. IMatch adds this folder to the database?
3. Then, suddenly, IMatch reports that the folder has changed? Blue icon?
4. IMatch automatically rescans the folder (normal)
5. IMatch ads a second 'link' for this folder somewhere under the database node?

Is the folder E:\Fotos also in the database?
Is the root drive of E:\ indexed in the database? Usually you won't index root folders.
I cannot tell from your screen shots.

Please always keep and attach the log files (see log file in the IMatch help) from your tests. Switch IMatch to in Debug logging mode (Help > Support > Debug Logging) and ZIP and attach them to your posts. This shows me a lot more information than you can give in your posts.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

HGF

Mario, I have same structure in Imatch db as on HD (pic 5 imatch and 6 windows explorer drive e:). This worked fine!

1. You created a new folder "e:\Fotos\Z-IMatch5 Test". Where? In IMatch? Windows Explorer?    yes, both
2. IMatch adds this folder to the database?   yes, worked fine
3. Then, suddenly, IMatch reports that the folder has changed? Blue icon? correct - after the crash (HD restored) I deleted some images and added new one in windows explorer. Imatch identified the changes and marked with blue icon - what is correct.
4. IMatch automatically rescans the folder (normal) correct
5. IMatch ads a second 'link' for this folder somewhere under the database node? correct.

I tried to rescan complete path "12_Axel.Meiss". It scans but as expected all category, ranking and version information are gone lost.  :-X

HGF

Mario, it seems I got it. On HD nothing has changed (same "Laufwerksbuchstabe" same folderstructure), except the label of the drive. I changed this from empty to E: and it seem this is the reason, why database cannot find the structure anymore and creates new scanned folders. I cleared the drive label and it seems being okay now.  For now thanks for your help, HG

Mario

That's what I meant above with "Relocate". If you change the drive serial (new hard disk) you need to relocate the folders. Else Match considers the folders as new folders... E:\images on disk XYZ is not the same as E:\images on disk ABC.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator