Customize right-click menu for folders

Started by Carlo Didier, August 10, 2015, 10:29:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlo Didier

Is there a way to add custom commands to the menu which is displayed when I right-click on a folder in the "Media & Folders" tree?
There is an option "Open in Windows Explorer", but I'd like to add others like "Open with FPV" and "Open in Bridge" which I have already added to the context menu in Windows Explorer.

I couldn't find anything in the help.

Mario

No, you cannot customize this menu.
Can't you just drag the folder to the other application?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Carlo Didier

Quote from: Mario on August 10, 2015, 12:57:00 PM... Can't you just drag the folder to the other application?
That would suppose the other app is already open and if it's not visible you have to first drag to the taskbar, wait for the application to come up, move the mouse pointer to it's window and then only release the mouse button. Quite complicated compared to a right-click menu. (I have a dual monitor setup with, for photo work, has Photoshop or ACR on the left display (full screen) and iMatch and Bridge full screen on the right display, so I never have Bridge and iMatch both visible at the same time).
And I cannot drag and drop a folder from iMatch to Bridge. Doesn't work.

Mario

I don't even know if there is an official protocol to "open" or "edit" entire folders. Or how many applications support such a thing. Bridge and LR do not even support standard drags for files...

I suggest you add a feature request in the appropriate board. Also be sure to "like" feature requests from others you want to see implemented. Because FT's without a couple of likes are prone to pruning.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Carlo Didier

Quote from: Mario on August 10, 2015, 02:30:40 PM
I don't even know if there is an official protocol to "open" or "edit" entire folders. Or how many applications support such a thing. Bridge and LR do not even support standard drags for files...

I suggest you add a feature request in the appropriate board. Also be sure to "like" feature requests from others you want to see implemented. Because FT's without a couple of likes are prone to pruning.

It's very simple for most applications. For Bridge or FPV, just start the application with the full folder path as command line parameter.
I'll make a feature request to add any external command to the right-click menu for folders (and files as well).

For Windows Explorer to open Bridge from the right-click menu of a folder, I just added one setting to the registry:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\Bridge]
@="Browse in Adobe Bridge CC"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\Bridge\command]
@="C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Adobe Bridge CC (64 Bit)\\Bridge.exe \"%L\""

Very useful!

Mario

I don't think I will go to that level.
When you use the available "Open" command in the file window menu, Windows uses official Windows functions to "open" the selected files in the associated application. IMatch does not built command lines manually or even adds registry entries.

When you drag & drop files from IMatch, IMatch uses the standard Windows drag & drop protocols. Every application that is compatible and written to Windows standards knows how to handle file drops. Windows automatically takes care that the application is notified or started when you drop files to the task bar icon, desktop shortcut or START menu icon.

When I want to open a folder in LR from IMatch (I never use Bridge) I just drag & drop it to the import screen or whosname,
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Carlo Didier

Please see my feature request. You see it way too complicated  8)
Must be a programmers syndrom ...  :)

Mario

Quote from: Carlo Didier on August 10, 2015, 07:28:46 PM
Nope, sorry. I think you have built yourself a rather specific case, with patching the registry etc. This will not work for a general feature in IMatch.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Carlo Didier

Quote from: Mario on August 10, 2015, 07:55:39 PM
Quote from: Carlo Didier on August 10, 2015, 07:28:46 PM
Nope, sorry. I think you have built yourself a rather specific case, with patching the registry etc. This will not work for a general feature in IMatch.

But I don't ask you to do anything with the registry! I just want to add a command like "bridge.exe {Folder.FullName}" to the context menu for folders. You can't make it simpler than that. Just execute a user specified external program with the full folder name as a parameter.

Mario

You can easily achieve that with a small script, and then add this script to the context menu of the Media & Folder view.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator