Norton flags IMatch 5

Started by jch2103, July 28, 2015, 06:35:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jch2103

My copy of Norton Internet Security just updated itself. In the process, it flagged IMatch5.exe as containing a threat, Adware.IGetNet. This was especially odd, as it was the latest version that I had installed w/o any Norton issues at the time it was released. I told Norton to restore it, as I have to assume IMatch is 'clean'. The main cause of flagging seemed to be Norton's 'reputation' index, which is based on popularity. Good if you're Adobe, not so helpful for less 'popular' programs...
John

Mario

QuoteGood if you're Adobe, not so helpful for less 'popular' programs...

These dumb-down popularity index is so stupid, I cannot even start to tell you about it.
Internet Explorer has something similar.
All this is aimed at big corporations. FB and others which offer downloads which are accessed by tens of thousands of users.

If you offer a valid, digitally signed (!) clean and proper download like IMatch which is download maybe a few thousand times, these stupid tools consider it a threat. What a nonsense. I check IMatch with four different virus engines before building the install files and signing them. Each executable and DLL inside the installer is also signed with my personal digital certificate. Impossible to manipulate the installer or the EXE/DLL without breaking the certificate.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook