Lens vs Lens ID and Model vs Camera Model

Started by zematima, May 14, 2015, 12:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zematima

Hi:
Trying to do a personal window Layout.(Thanks Markus)
As a noob in these things I wonder what is the difference between Lens and Lens ID and Model from Camera Model.
As you can see from file 6.jpg I have in Footer 2 the code:
{File.MD.Composite\LensSpec\LensSpec\0}
In Footer 4 the code:
{File.MD.XMP::tiff\Model\Model\0}
On the first picture I have the LensSpec as shown (70-200mm ....). The second picture , taken at the same time with the same lens doesn't show that Info.
Why? because on the Metadata Image Info the "field" Lens doesn't appear for the second image.
I don't understand the reason why that "Field" doesn't appear for the second image and appears in the first image.
More strange on Footer 4:
It should show NIKON D700 because in the field Model ({File.MD.Exif::Main\272\Model\0}) or in the field CameraModel ({File.MD.XMP::tiff\Model\Model\0}), I can see the name NIKON D700.
For the Footer 4 I think I found why , I just don't know if this is a bug or not.
Header and Footer 3 are empty. If I put the same code on Footer 3 it shows twice NIKON D700.
So I put Footer 4 empty and leave the code on Footer 3 and it's working.
But for the lenses someone knows why this happens?
Thanks in advance.
JRosa.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Aubrey

My camera model setup is the same as yours:
{File.MD.Exif::Main\272\Model\0}

For lens I have used:
{File.MD.photools.com::IMatch\2900\lens\0}
in my custom template for lenses.

you will note that for 12-24, software cannot determine if it's a Tokina or Nikon lens (it is a Nikon)!
Attached is an image from my template

Aubrey.

zematima

Hi:
Thanks for your feedback.
If I change to your specs on the lens, I have the name of the lens as shown on file 7.jpg
The reason I choosed the other format is that the description of the lens are smaller.
And you are right for an old (and sold) Tokina AT-X 124 AF PRO DX (AF 12-24 f/4) it only shows 12-24mm f/4 G
For the AF-S Zoom-Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED it shows 14-24mm f/2.8 G
The reason I used the other format was because the description of the lens was shorter then this one.
Although I don't understand why the field "Lens" ({File.MD.Composite\LensSpec\LensSpec\0}) appears in the image of the left on the Metadata Info and the same field doesn't appear on the image of the right.(Same lens and photos taken with seconds between them)
Thanks.

Mario

Lens ids and names and whatnot are not specified in any way. Each camera vendor uses it's own schema, and some vendors (Nikon) even encrypt (!) the lens information. ExifTool does a long way to determine the proper lens 'name' from the lens parameters available in the file. Most of this is based on static table Phil maintains and which ExifTool uses at runtime to figure out the best lens id. Depending on the camera model, lens used, firmware etc. ExifTool fills one or more of the available numbered Lens ID fields. I think I wrote something about this in the documentation of the lens tag.

The special {File.MD.photools.com::IMatch\2900\lens\0} tag uses a 'best match' approach and tries to produce the best possible lens name from the information provided by ExifTool in various tags, without the user having to determine which of the many lens tags to use.

If the names produced are too long for your taste, why don't you just use substr to limit the length or replace to replace the too long lens name with a shorter name of your liking. Unless you use dozens of different lenses this is easy to to and takes maybe a minute to set up.

For example:

{File.MD.photools.com::IMatch\2900\lens\0|replace:AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II==Nikkor 70-200mm}

emits "Nikkor 70-200mm" instead of "AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II".
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

zematima

Hi Mario:
Thanks.
Working very well.
Best regards,
JRosa.