search for files taken at night (e.g. btw. 18:00 - 8:00)

Started by miner1, February 02, 2015, 10:34:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

miner1

Hey everybody,
for some time now, I try to figure out, how to search (or sort) for TIME (not "date and time"). I want to select all files taken at night, or during the blue houre (blaue Stunde in Deutsch), or around noon, etc.
I only found "date and time" but this does not lead to success. Is there something like "XMP xmp\Erstellt um" or "Exif: Time"?
In the sort view I am able to see all "times" in a column, but I can't sort these columns and in the sort presets I can't create something like sort for time only :-[
I also tried the filter panel, but there I haven't found "time" either...
What have I missed?

Thanks for your help
GERO

Mario

Most time stamps use a qualified date and time value.
The easiest way to solve this specific problem would be a data-driven category which only considers the time portion of the timestamp.

Create a new category and name it, for example, Stunden.
Open the properties for the data-driven category and set these values:

Timestamps are formatted as

YYYY:MM:DD HH:MM:SS

so 12,2 gives us only the HH part.

The result is a data-driven category which has child-categories 00,01,02,03,..23.
You can select one or more of these categories in the Category View to see all files taken during a specific hour, or a range of hours.

You can use these categories in filters, in category formulas and many other IMatch features as well.

[attachment deleted by admin]
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

miner1

Great!
works pretty fine.
Sometimes I believe nearly everything can be done in Imatch, one just has to find the right way ;)
Thank your for very quick response!   
I wonder a bit at this because I thought, searching for e.g. pictures taken at night, would be a very typical query to a photo-database? So I didn't expect that the solution would be so "deep" in Imatch. Anyway it works fine for me, thank you again

GERO

Mario

I guess searching for pictures taking at a specific time is not really that common.
Pictures taken at a specific day, week, during a vacation or a year is much more common. And IMatch offers powerful tools in the time-line and the filter panel for that. Searching files taken during specific hours, independent from the actual date, is nothing that's often required. But data-driven categories are just made for this kind of custom analysis.

And since you know have grouped your files by the hour they were taken, you can use these categories to filter files ("show me all files in this folder/category/year... taken between 20:00 and 06:00"). You can use them in category formulas, Alias them, ...

If you need more info, analyze your shooting habits, etc. you may want to check out use the Statistics panel.
Setup a new configuration and name it, for example, "Images per Hour".
Use the Data source "Files per Hour" and you can actually see how many files you took per hour (using whatever is selected in the file window right now, which can be a folder, a category or even the entire database).

[attachment deleted by admin]
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Mario

QuoteSometimes I believe nearly everything can be done in Imatch, one just has to find the right way ;)

Yes. That what makes IMatch so unique. So, tell your friends about it. Post on Facebook, like my Facebook page, tell others in forums etc. Spread the word!
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

sinus

Quote from: miner1 on February 03, 2015, 07:49:16 AM
Sometimes I believe nearly everything can be done in Imatch, one just has to find the right way ;)
GERO

I thought (and wrote) that also several times.
This was also the case with IM3 and now with IM5 even more.

Of course we can find very specific things, what cannot be done with IMatch, but a LOT of ideas, works, simply things, can be done with IMatch.

If the native stuff of IM is not enough, we have also the powerfull scripting (and App) language. With scripting also a lot of things is possible.

(Yesterday for example I "wrote" a small script, what opens Word, takes a table and put all relevant informations for me (how many files in the db, how many nefs, jpgs, how many dots, pins, bookmarks and so on) in this table.
This works VERY quickly and gives me a short and quick overview about my DB.)
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus