Telling imatch to `open with'

Started by reader, July 14, 2013, 03:47:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reader

Additional Functions / open with
Using the routine described in the help file under Index/ open/ files in external applications does not work for me.
I realize its more to do with my OS settings and adobe's practices but: Following the guide in the help file, I track down the version of photoshop I want to use which resides in C:\Programs Files\adobe\Photoshop CC (64 bit)\photoshop.exe that path is not honored and photoshop CS6 opens up anyway.  Photoshop CC is the new Creative Cloud version of photoshop.

OK, its the OS's doings but in 3.6 we had a way to get around it by employing the actual path somehow in the old 'User Tools' menu item.  I don't remember how it went now but how can I do that in im5?

Mario

You can associate a specific application with a specific file via the "Open with..." logic. The corresponding commands are available in both Windows Explorer and IMatch (context menu of the file window > Additional functions > Open with). Make sure you enable the Always use this program... in the dialog presented when you choose this command. That's all built into Windows and IMatch cannot work around that.

To open files from IMatch in specific applications, add the application as a Favorite. Favorites replace and enhance the the User Tools concept of IMatch 3.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

reader

Quote from: Mario on July 14, 2013, 09:24:14 AM
You can associate a specific application with a specific file via the "Open with..." logic. The corresponding commands are available in both Windows Explorer and IMatch (context menu of the file window > Additional functions > Open with). Make sure you enable the Always use this program... in the dialog presented when you choose this command. That's all built into Windows and IMatch cannot work around that.

To open files from IMatch in specific applications, add the application as a Favorite. Favorites replace and enhance the the User Tools concept of IMatch 3.

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough in OP, but the method you lay out above is exactly the one found in the help file I cited at "INDEX / open / files in an external application".  That finds the section that lays out what you describe above.   And it DOES NOT work.  And as I mentioned, I realize it is not the fault of imatch.  I asked for a work around.

The work around you gave me is a work around and a half did.  Using "Favorites" as you indicated completely solves that problem.  Thank you.