Attributes-panel open with a lot of pics creates white screen

Started by sinus, August 13, 2014, 08:47:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinus

I believe ONE of the source of white screens is the Attributes-panel. I think so, because I have forgotten this panel sometimes (like now), and then I selected (in the case now) 500 image ... and this takes time and the screen goes white, while I write this, it is still white, but I know, IM5 will comes again ;)

Now I waited about 8 minutes, the white screen is gone and all is again ok now.

Do you also spotted this behaviour with Attributes or is it just me? It makes also a difference, if I had before selected the single or merge-mode.

If so, I do not know, would there be a solution against my head, because I simply forget to hide or close the attribute-panel before.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

As with all performance-related issues, please attach a log file so I can see how long IMatch is taking for what.

Loading Attributes for 500 selected files in a 50,000 files databases here takes 0.4 seconds. It takes 2.1 seconds on a 130,000 files database. How long does it take for your database? The log file would have told me that.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Quote from: Mario on August 13, 2014, 09:02:00 AM
As with all performance-related issues, please attach a log file so I can see how long IMatch is taking for what.

Loading Attributes for 500 selected files in a 50,000 files databases here takes 0.4 seconds. It takes 2.1 seconds on a 130,000 files database. How long does it take for your database? The log file would have told me that.

Sorry, you are right.
The next time I will do so. Have a nice day.
Markus

Mario

IMatch will display a "Loading Attributes..." in the status bar. Can you confirm that?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Quote from: Mario on August 13, 2014, 04:38:19 PM
IMatch will display a "Loading Attributes..." in the status bar. Can you confirm that?

Hi Mario,
I can NOT confirm this. I tried to reproduce it (because I wanted then close the Attribute-panel), but now the 500 images loads very quickly, no problems.
Sorry for that.

Generally IMatch is MUCH more quicker and stable for me, since I disabled the folder-monitoring in the background.
So I think, for me it is best to wait for the new release, because you changed there quite a lot (cats for example), what will also have an inpact of my db.

I have now a good feeling, that all will be good!  :D
Markus

Mario

Hi, Markus

folder monitoring does not cause much performance problems - unless your or an application always modifies data in the background, thus causing IMatch to rescan many folders. But even if you run PS and LR at the same time as IMatch, changes are usually restricted to one or two folders, and IMatch can scan these quickly in the background. Thats how I work all the time...

Does IMatch need to rescan many folders when you work? Search for AddOrUpdateFolder in the log file to find out how often IMatch rescans folders, and which folders.

I have added some extra code in the attribute retrieval to keep the IMatch window "alive", preventing Windows from ghosting it (making it white) after 5 seconds of not reacting on user actions. This does not speed up the attribute data retrieval from the database (and 500 files may have a lot of data!) but prevents the window from stopping repainting.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

sinus

Thanks, Mario, for all your effort, though I knew you since several years ;) you manage it to baffles me again und again with your great support!  :)
Markus