Could someone please help me with the renamer tool

Started by ILighter 5, June 29, 2014, 11:19:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ILighter 5

Hello,
I'm new to IMatch 5 and would really appreciate a little help.
Here is my situation, I'm stepping away from Lightroom where my files were unorganized on
the hard-drive but organized in the catalog and would like to organize my photos
by having IMatch create a folder structure based on some metadata from the files.
Basically create some folders based on the year, subfolders by month and then rename the
files and move them to appropriate folders. Is that possible?
Something like rename the file to 2013-06-0001.raw and place it  in :\2013\06\
Thank you for your time and I also want to say that the infinite customizations in IMatch 5 are
truly spectacular :) Great great software!

herman

Welcome to the community!

Want you want to achieve is one of the features of the Renamer.
It is not very difficult to do, but I suggest you go through the relevant section of the help system first.
Most likely all you want to know can be found there.
Enjoy!

Herman.

Mario

The Renamer allows you to move and copy files.
The target path of the move can be constructed by using variables - which allows you to use virtually all the metadata contained in your files to generate folder names.

If you want to organize your files by Year and Month, look into the variable

{File.DateTime}

which usually contains a reliable timestamp for all file formats.

Tip: Open the App Panel (View > Panels > App Panel) and there switch to the VarToy App. This little App makes it easy to play with variables and to try things out.

To produce a folder name from the year and month, use a format like:

{File.DateTime|format:YYYY\MM}

which returns 2014\06 for a file created in June 2014. Combine that with the drive and folder name under which you want to create the file, e.g:

c:\images\{File.DateTime|format:YYYY\MM}

which returns c:\images\2014\06 for an image taken in June 2014.

Always try your variables out in the App Panel and with several files. Then use it in the Move step of the Renamer.
Try it with a few files, or work in small batches.

See the Renamer help topic (press <F1> while in the Renamer) for many other examples.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ILighter 5

Wow, thank you so much.
Very impressed with the support I got and this really made my decision
to switch to IMatch 5 so easy. Looking forward to fully exploring the program
and once again thank you!

Richard

QuoteVery impressed with the support I got

The support that IMatch users get has always impressed me along with many other users. It is superior to the support for any other DAM application and most other software.

vpv

while waiting for new computer still on 3.6...

Is it included in Renamer function to rename files and save in two locations - main and backup?
As it might by done in Adobe Bridge?

Can backup copy not be included in IMatch database the same time?

Thank you

P.S. it might be covered in help, but could no go thru until upgrade install new IMatch 5

Mario

You can download the IMatch 5 help file as a separate download, and it's of course also included in the Trial Version:

http://www.photools.com/download/

The Renamer in IMatch 5 allows you to move and copy files. The copy function can be used to automatically create copies/backups of your files. The target must not be included in your database.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

vpv

Thank you, Mario!
While waiting for new computer plan new update and setup.
If I have existing DB from previous version 3.6, can I install new 5 and use DB?

Mario

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

vpv

Thank you, Mario!
Converted to "5" after few try-outs...  Now is trying find proper way to adjust my workflow