Another Renamer and Move/Copy question

Started by P.Jones, July 19, 2014, 02:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

P.Jones

Is it possible to copy/move files to different folders using the Renamer.

Want I want to do is to have my files, IMG_1234.CR2 and IMG_1234.JPG, to be put into different folders.

Is this possible via something like

If ext=CR2 then move to {p0}\{Renamer.ProjectCode|index:1}

If ext=JPG then move to {p0}\{Renamer.ProjectCode|index:2}

Mario

The easiest way would be to rename the CR2 files and move them.
Then Rename the JPEG files and move them.

If you want to to it all at once, you can use variable formatting functions. Use the variable which refers to the file extension and then use "is" or "contains" to append different folder names.

I don't have the time to try that out for you, but if you spend a few minutes with the variables help topic (check the "is" and "contains" functions) and the VarToy I'm sure you can come up with something.

What you want is along the line

if the variable for the extension is "XYZ" then use this variable (folder name 1) else use this variable (folder name 2).

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

P.Jones

Quote from: Mario on July 19, 2014, 08:15:30 PM
The easiest way would be to rename the CR2 files and move them.
Then Rename the JPEG files and move them.

If you want to to it all at once, you can use variable formatting functions. Use the variable which refers to the file extension and then use "is" or "contains" to append different folder names.

I don't have the time to try that out for you, but if you spend a few minutes with the variables help topic (check the "is" and "contains" functions) and the VarToy I'm sure you can come up with something.

What you want is along the line

if the variable for the extension is "XYZ" then use this variable (folder name 1) else use this variable (folder name 2).

Hi Mario

I sorted out the variable for the Renamer Move

I used

P:\Imatch Test Folder\{File.NameExt|contains:JPG, Derivative\{Renamer.ProjectCode}, Raw\{Renamer.ProjectCode}}

The ProjectCode in this case was Dog.

1.) Selecting 3 JPG files and running Renamer resulted in files being moved to

P:\Imatch Test Folder\Derivative\Dog

2.) Selecting 3 CR2 files and running Renamer resulted in files being moved to

P:\Imatch Test Folder\Raw\Dog

But

3.) Selecting 2 CR2 files which are Main Version files and running Renamer resulted in both CR2 and JPG files being moved to

P:\Imatch Test Folder\Raw\Dog

How do I make the JPG version files obey the Renamer in this instance and put them in the P:\Imatch Test Folder\Derivative\Dog folder?

Also I'm suffering the same problem as I reported here

https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=2898.msg18793#new

Renamer1.png = 1.) Move 3 JPG files

Renamer2.png = 1.) Move 3 CR2 files

Renamer3.png = 1.) Shows a rescan after moving 2 CR2 version files. As can be seen the folders are duplicated twice.

The only way to show the correct folder tree is to close down and restart the program as shown in Renamer4.png

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mario

When I understood you correctly you managed to produce the variable which puts files with different extensions into different folders. Great.

But you are mixing that with automatic file operations caused by your file relations setup, and this will not work.
When you declare JPEG files as buddy files for CR2 files, IMatch will move/copy/delete/rename(!) the JPEG along with the CR2 automatically. The file relations manager in IMatch does not know anything about a rename mask you use in the Renamer or anything.

It knows that when the file ABC.CR2 is moved to another folder, the file ABC.JPG must also be moved. Or when you rename ABC.CR2 to XYZ.CR2, the JPEG is also renamed to XYZ.JPG. This is independent from the Renamer or how you move/copy/rename the master file. It's triggered in the background and processed automatically. You cannot break or split file relations by using the Renamer.

If you want to be able to move/rename CR2 and JPEG files independently, don't declare them as buddy files.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

thrinn

Just one hint: There is a difference between buddy files and versions. Both are configured as relations, but they behave differently. As Mario said, buddy files will be renamed/moved/copied automatically with their masters. This is not the case for version relations.

If you just want to connect your raw and jpg file somehow, it might be worthwhile to declare the JPG as version of the CR2 and not as a buddy.

Regards,
Thorsten
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

P.Jones

Quote from: thrinn on July 20, 2014, 02:50:43 PM
Just one hint: There is a difference between buddy files and versions. Both are configured as relations, but they behave differently. As Mario said, buddy files will be renamed/moved/copied automatically with their masters. This is not the case for version relations.

If you just want to connect your raw and jpg file somehow, it might be worthwhile to declare the JPG as version of the CR2 and not as a buddy.

Regards,
Thorsten

Ah yes forgot about that.

At the moment my photos are in separate folders for Raw and Derivatives files on my HD. I've not yet done versions in my FinalDataBase only my TestDataBase

I'll  have to decide which is the best option, to use buddy files or versions.