Buddy File - Replacement expression - bug ???

Started by exb53, January 08, 2014, 06:58:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

exb53

Hi, just got started to work again on my PSB (Photoshop large format) workflow.

To make those file visible in many apps like Lightroom and imatch I generated little JPGs with a "PSB" watermark. They have the same file name, but the extension is "filename.psb.jpg". This is useful as I can then use a plugin called "anyfile" to catalog images in Lightroom and open PSBs in Photoshop from LR.

Of course these JPGs and the PSB placeholder thumbs are visible in imatch as well. To handle them easier I built a rule for the JPGs as masters and treat the PSBs as buddy files.

The expressions I use in "file relation" are:
Master expr.:       \.psb\.jpg
Replacement Expr.:   \.psb*//
Link Expr.:      ^{name}\.psb

This works fine.
It took me a while, as it seem not to be what the manual says for replacement expressions: "/replace this/with that/". So I should have entered: /\.psb*//
But that does not work. Am I wrong or is there a bug?

Regards

Eckart

Mario

Don't use the replacement expression that way. This is not for what's it used.

Use this for your buddy file links:

{name}(\.psb\.jpg)$

If the master is for example beach.psb this will identify beach.pdb.jpg as a buddy file.
This assumes that the names of your buddy files are always exactly the same as the master and that you have only files with .psb.jpg extension.
Otherwise add more extensions, see for example the .NEF versioning rule IMatch ships with.

You can leave the replacement expression empty.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

exb53

Thanks,

but the jpgs have to be the master and have to have the naming beach.psb.jpg for the "buddy" beach.psb. That is becaus of the visibility on stacks.

Regarding the replacement expression: is the manual right or wrong?

Regards
Eckart

Mario

Sorry, this was not clear from your initial post.

You want to make the JPEG the master (which may cause any kind of subtle problems, so keep that in mind).

Your master file name is

beach.psb.jpg

and your buddy is

beach.psb

This means you need to strip the .jpg from the master name to get the link name. The replacement expression should hence be

\.jpg*//

Amazing what users come up with

[attachment deleted by admin]
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

exb53

mmmh,

very strange. Now I can move the pair (beach.psb and beach.psb.jpg) BUT: beach.psb becomes beach.psb.psb ....

I checked my version again. It works too. but again only once, the *.psb mutate to *.psb.psb

Beside this renaming effect: My understanding is that the replacement defined in the second step replaces a string from the original filename, which then is used in the {name} variable. If this is true ".psb" must disapear in order to make it work.

I am confused ...

Also: the leading slash (/), mentioned in the manual, where is it. It should be: /replace this/withthis/. Or am I wrong?

Regards
Eckart

Mario

QuoteNow I can move the pair (beach.psb and beach.psb.jpg) BUT: beach.psb becomes beach.psb.psb ....

What do you do, exactly?
How do you move? Where do you move? Copy/Paste? Drag and Drop? Renamer?
Is this a version or a buddy rule?
Do you mean that a buddy file is renamed during a move operation?
What file names do you use?

Please consider that I have to interpret everything you say and try to understand what you are seeing. A bit more information would be helpful here.

How to report bugs

If you have a comment/suggestion to one of the help pages, please use the link at the bottom of the corresponding help topic to send me feedback.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

exb53

Its very easy and straight forward:

1. Define a buddy rule (mine or the one you proposed)
2. Selecting the master file (only the master, in my case the *.psb.JPG) and drag it to another folder using the mose
3. This moves two files, the master and the buddy (2013-10-06-Tokyo-1065-M1.psb.JPG and the 2013-10-06-Tokyo-1065-M1.PSB), to that folder
4. Opening that folder in either imatch or win explorere shows that the buddy file (2013-10-06-Tokyo-1065-M1.PSB) has been renamed to 2013-10-06-Tokyo-1065-M1.PSB.PSB
5. The is reproducable with your or my buddy definition (see previous post)

I use win 8.1, 64 bit and the latest imatch build. The file names are

Master: 2013-10-06-Tokyo-1065-M1.psb.jpg, buddy: 2013-10-06-Tokyo-1065-M1.psb   
and
Master: 2013-10-06-Tokyo-1065-M2.psb.jpg, buddy: 2013-10-06-Tokyo-1065-M2.psb

Source path:   d:\My Pics 00\10 - Work\PSB Test
Destination path: d:\My Pics 00\10 - Work\PSB Test\bb

Hope that helps

Eckart