Culling of raw+jpg

Started by 6b6561, June 07, 2024, 09:11:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

6b6561

I'm shooting in raw+jpg, and I'm normally happy with the jpg out of the camera. The raw is for just in case and is archived outside of IMatch after culling. I use the viewer for culling, but it's annoying to separately have to mark the raw and the jpg for deletion.

Is there someway to cull both the raw and jpg in one go? I had a go at stacks, but I got the understanding that the viewer only shows the top image from the stack?

Canon's Digital Photo Professional as an example has a "raw+jpg" button that virtually combines the two formats into a single object, making it easier to scroll through thumbnails and culling the files.

Is there a way to do the same thing in IMatch? I don't like to do the culling in DPP as it's instantaneous and if you delete something then it's gone unless you dig it out from the recycle bin.

Mario

QuoteI use the viewer for culling, but it's annoying to separately have to mark the raw and the jpg for deletion.
Use versioning. Make the JPG a version of the RAW. Or vice-versa.
Let the version rule propagate the rating. If you reject the master, the version will also be rejected.

See File Relations for information.

This will also create a version stack from the RAW/JPG.
If you want, make the RAW a buddy file for the JPG. When you copy, move, rename or delete the JPG, the corresponding CR2 will will also be deleted.

Usually the JPG would be the buddy/version of the RAW, but your workflow is inverted, so you'll have to invert the buddy/version rule too.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ubacher

As Mario said: use versioning. But don't set jpg and raw as buddies (else deleting one deletes the other).

Then you solve your problem by filtering for raw files which are not MASTERS (because you deleted the jpg!).

Jingo

Or - do what I do - and keep your RAW files outside your IM database.  I consider my RAW files "negatives" and my JPG files to be my "prints".  I download my RAW files into a date based folder structure, process the RAW files, export JPG's in a mirrored date based folder structure on a different drive, and then import them to Imatch for keywording, rating, etc.

This way, my RAW files do not impact IM or my JPG's but I can easily find a RAW file since the folder structure and naming convention are the same (just a different drive letter).

Lots of workflow options!

6b6561

Thank you everyone, I think I found my workflow for culling larger batches.

1: Activate the Buddy File for Canon RAW
2: sort the batch by file extension
3: Select the jpg or RAWs
4: Open viewer
5: Cull, this will take care of both RAW and jpg as they are seen as buddy files
6: Disable the Buddy Files
7: My normal worflow for exporting and archiving the RAW files outside of IMatch

There is one risk in this flow, if I forget to disable the buddy files, then both the RAWs and jpgs are deleted during my RAW export.

Mario

The idea of having buddy files is to move, copy, rename and delete them with your master.
I don't understand from your description how this would help in your case.

Making the RAW a version of the JPG and propagating ratings will allwo you to work only with JPG files in the Viewer. And when you reject (mark for deletion) a JPG file, IMatch will also mark the corresponding RAW file as rejected.
This way you only need to cull one file per pair, which is what the problem description in your first post was.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

6b6561

I had another stab at versioning, so now I have the versioning working. I get the small number on the master indicating the number of versions, pressing T toggles the version stack.

I have now marked one master for deletion in the viewer, but how do I get the rejection propagated? Command -> Relations -> Propagate doesn't work and I have also tried to rebuild the relations.

Mario

Make your relation rule propagate ratings:

Image1.jpg

See: Propagation for more info.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

6b6561

Perfect, that did the trick! This is now working exactly as I wanted to.