Define the System Collections (eg. when is "last week")

Started by PandDLong, March 11, 2024, 07:50:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PandDLong

The system collections are useful but I have gotten myself confused when files I expect to see are not listed (and vice-versa).

I think my idea of of the terms "this week", "last week", "last month", etc don't match what is actually coded to create these system collections.  For instance, I would have thought "yesterday" is part of "this week" but it isn't (or at least not always).

Adding the definition of these terms to the help would be good.

Michael

Mario

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

From my point of view was "yesterday" sunday and this is for me last week. 
Here in Switzerland starts the week with Monday, but I know, that for some countries a week starts with sunday. 

Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

PandDLong

My specific example was where I had no updates last week but hundreds yesterday.  I must have thought when I setup categories for 'Today', 'Last Week' and 'Last Month' I would everything relatively current covered (but I didn't) - even adding 'Yesterday' may not work depending on how 'Last Week' is defined.

So my questions would be:

1. Is a week the 7 days starting on a particular day (as per Sinus's comment - what day is that - Sunday or Monday would be two common choices) as opposed to 'last week' meaning the last 7 days (which is a phrase I have heard and used).

2. Is month the calendar month or the previous 30 days?  If calendar month then are the last 3 months Dec, Jan & Feb?  or does it include the current month meaning it is Jan, Feb, & March?

Language and phrases can be such a pain in an international group.  Sometimes extra details are useful.

Just don't introduce 'fortnight' and don't use AI to introduce "next week" .    :)

Michael

Mario

Your subject line is Collections. Now you say you setup categories. How?
The Collections use actual time. Today starts at 00:00 and ends at 23:59:59. For this week, IMatch goes back 7 days etc. This does not use any local calendars or anything. The collections are just for a quick overview of photos indexed today, a day ago, within the past week etc. I have not looked at this since IMatch 5, except for an occasional bug fix, I believe.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

PandDLong

Mario,

Just as in the default setup for iMatch, I have a number of categories which are based upon Collections ie. for a category called 'Files Updated Last Week' the formula is "@Collection[Updated|LastWeek]".

I think it would be helpful to include in the documentation how these terms are coded.  

For "This WeeK" - is it the past 7 days or is it the days since the most recent Sunday (or Monday)?

Not a big deal, especially if the information is not close at hand.  

Michael

Mario

Week = Past 7 days.
If you want to suggest a correction or enhancement for a help topic, please use the "feedback" link at the bottom of the help page. This automatically places your request in a queue on my end.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator