Add option to Timeline and Events to sort/display using {File.DateTime.Original}

Started by twofid, February 19, 2024, 01:36:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twofid

Hello All,

I would like the option to set/use the "Original" timestamp/variable to sort/display the Timeline & Events views versus the default "Local" timestamp. In this way it would be possible to see graphically all images/videos based on where and when they where taken/created.

Currently (if I understand correctly):
The File.DateTime global UTC timestamp (not to be confused with the variable {File.DateTime}) is used to sort all files into a consistent and chronological order. iMatch then converts them to the Local time-zone of the PC where iMatch is installed and uses that to layout the files in the Timeline & Events views. The resulting layout does not take into account where the photo was actually taken even though the time-zone offset may be contained in the actual file and/or database.

This creates a mis-match in the displayed timeline (i.e. the file shows it was taken on the 14th and the timeline places it on the 13th).

This is not a problem with the date/time, but rather on which time-zone is used to display them.
For example, the file window could be using {File.DateTime.Original} with a time-zone of +13:00, while the Timeline is using the default {File.DateTime.Local} with a time-zone of -7:00. I'm using variables here for simplicity, I expect iMatch uses different elements to represent these values. In each case, the global File.DateTime timestamp is used to calculate these date/times (using Time-Zone offsets if they exist).

I don't see having to change anything to do with the global timestamp, in fact I wouldn't support doing that. It just makes way to much sense to use UTC as the underpinning structure for all Date/Time variables..

This is just a way of seeing all photos/videos in the timeline based on their location and associated time-zone.

Hopefully I've conveyed my request accurately, if not please feel free to provide feedback.
DJ

rolandgifford

Quote from: twofid on February 19, 2024, 01:36:06 AMThe File.DateTime global UTC timestamp (not to be confused with the variable {File.DateTime})

I find this statement more than confusing. Can you point me to the relevant help page to explain what you mean.

twofid

I based this comment on the following.

https://www.photools.com/community/index.php/topic,12932.0.html

It's a bit of a read but basically deals with Mario's request for feedback on changing the global File.DateTime attribute to UTC. There is alot of valuable information discussed.

My reading is...
The global File.DateTime attribute is equivalent to the variable {File.DateTime.UTC}
The variable {File.DateTime} is equivalent to {File.DateTime.Original}

For example, if I use VarToy on a image, it shows a different time for each of them.

i.e.
{File.DateTime}                2020-03-14 9:17:39 AM
{File.DateTime.Original}       2020-03-14 9:17:39 AM
{File.DateTime.Original.TZO}   2020-03-14 9:17:39 AM+13:00
{File.DateTime.Local}          2020-03-13 2:17:39 PM
{File.DateTime.Local.TZO}      2020-03-13 2:17:39 PM-06:00
{File.DateTime.UTC}            2020-03-13 8:17:39 PM
{File.DateTime.TZO}            2020-03-14 9:17:39 AM+13:00

This makes perfect sense (at least in my head) when you consider that the global File.DateTime attribute (iMatch dbase, not metadata) is used in conjunction with the Time-Zone associated with the image to calculate each of the respective File.DateTime variables above.

I'm probably oversimplifying this and Mario will straighten me out in short order ;-)
Hopefully this answers your question.

Please let me know you have questions or concerns

Thanks for your feedback
DJ