Inconsistent Time Zone Display?

Started by jch2103, February 06, 2024, 12:23:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jch2103

Background
I've had an issue with my raw processor properly displaying Time Zone data in ,.jpg output files. The developer has made some code changes but I'm seeing inconsistent results in my IMatch metadata windows (some images properly show TZ data but others don't - but output from the ExifTool Command processor shows both files are consistent regarding TZ display!!). 

Specifics
I'm having issues with inconsistent display of the Time zone in the tag {File.MD.XMP::exif\DateTimeOriginal\DateTimeOriginal\0} as displayed in my metadata window but no issues with display of TZ in the tag {File.MD.XMP::xmp\CreateDate\CreateDate\0}. Here's are links to two sets of relevant files (raw and jpg): 
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtlBwiIf8wQzgZ1uubpFOfdNBbcEGg?e=vhqjZe 
and 
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtlBwiIf8wQzgZ1t731p4O6ebr6U_g?e=04lsfH

2021-10-14 06-11-39 NIKON Z 6_DxO PL7_3.jpg displays TZ for the above tag, while the other .jpg doesn't. However, when I run the ExifTool Command Processor with 
-time:all
-a
-G0:1
-s
-charset
filename=UTF8
{Files}

there's no difference in TZ in the ExifTool data for the two files. I'm having trouble understanding why the two image files are displaying differently in IMatch given what the ECP is showing. See attached screenshots of the two .jpg files. 

I hope this is clear. Let me know if I need to explain further. 
John

Mario

I've looked at the two JPG files. The JPG files contain both EXIF and XMP metadata.

2021-10-14 05-57-22 NIKON Z 6_DxO PL7_3.jpg

[ExifIFD]      Date/Time Original              : 2021:10:14 05:57:22
[ExifIFD]      Create Date                    : 2021:10:14 05:57:22
[XMP-exif]      Date/Time Original              : 2021:10:14 05:57:22
[XMP-photoshop] Date Created                    : 2021:10:14 05:57:22
[XMP-xmp]      Create Date                    : 2021:10:14 05:57:22.26-06:00
[ExifIFD]      Offset Time                    : -07:00
[ExifIFD]      Offset Time Digitized          : -06:00

2021-10-14 06-11-39 NIKON Z 6_DxO PL7_3.jpg

[ExifIFD]      Date/Time Original              : 2021:10:14 06:11:39
[ExifIFD]      Create Date                    : 2021:10:14 06:11:39
[XMP-exif]      Date/Time Original              : 2021:10:14 06:11:39
[XMP-photoshop] Date Created                    : 2021:10:14 06:11:39
[XMP-xmp]      Create Date                    : 2021:10:14 06:11:39.19-06:00
[ExifIFD]      Offset Time                    : -07:00

Only one of the required EXIF Time Zone Offset tags is included, which is why the XMP::photoshop\DateCreated\DateCreated ends up without a time zone offset.

As per definition,

DateTimeOriginal gets time zone from Offset Time Original, with the fallback TimeZoneOffset
CreateDate gets the time zone from Offset Time Digitized, with the fallback imeZoneOffset

Offset Time Original is missing in the file => no time zone offset can be applied to XMP::photoshop\DateCreated\DateCreated. This causes IMatch to set a time zone offset based on the mode configured by the user.

Note: The Offset Time tag provides the time zone offset for the Metadata Modified timestamp.

When I manually add/correct the missing time zone offset for the tag (Metadata Panel or TimeWiz) and write back, the missing time zone offset is added to the file:

[ExifIFD]      Offset Time                    : +01:00
[ExifIFD]      Offset Time Original           : -06:00

This is how it should have looked from the beginning.

The NEF files include all required time zone offsets, which explains why the timestamps for the NEFs files display correctly in IMatch.

In my opinion, IMatch is working as designed and the flawed metadata in the file is the cause for this.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

jch2103

Thank you for looking into this, especially about the missing EXIF Time Zone (Offset Time Original) tag. 

The thing that I don't understand is that although both jpg images are apparently missing the Offset Time Original tag, one of the images displays the TZ in IMatch while the other one doesn't (see prior screenshots). Is there a reason for this discrepancy?

John

Mario

I see this in the MD Panel for the two files:

Image3.jpg

I use the default setting for the time zone mapping mode (apply local time zone if there is none).

For the NEF files, I see a time zone offset of -06:00 for both files.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

I do also not understand the discrepancy, what you have.

I have downloaded your files and tried it on my system (but only the jpgs). I have exactly the same results like Mario posted.

Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

@jch2103

Which File.DateTime Mapping Mode (User-defined Time Zone Offsets) do you use?
This is the only thing I could think of that would cause the difference between what you see for these files in comparison to @sinus and me...?!
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

jch2103

Thank you both for checking. M Preferences setting is the default File.DateTime Mapping Mode 2, so results my results should be the same as yours... (except for local time zone).  

I did a Force Update on both jpg files; now they do show the same information. 

This second screenshot is after I clicked into the tag field. 

If I understand correctly, if I add the missing Offset Time Original, then both Create Date and Date Subject Created should display TZ as -06:00, which would match what's shown for the original NEFs?
John

thrinn

I also downloaded the files. As Mario and Sinus, both JPG show the same metadata information.
If you see something different, maybe it is related to the option to always display the timezone offset, even if it matches the local timezone. All three of us have the same local timezone offset (+01:00), but if your local TZ is -06:00 it might explaing the difference of what is displayed.

2024-02-07 08_34_07-IM Test 01.imd5.jpg
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

Mario

Good point.

The Metadata Analyst has been changed for the next release and now treats a missing Offset TimeOriginal and/or Offset TimeDigitized as a warning.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

jch2103

Thanks for the insights, everyone. The Metadata Analyst changes should be helpful in my case; thanks!
John