non-AVX support

Started by OldGrowth, January 31, 2024, 12:51:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldGrowth

Hello forum, hope you are having a good 2024!

I have been working on organizing my photos with IMatch and am considering placing them on a dedicated Win10 server that also handles my music, and using IMatch Anywhere to view, tag, share, etc.

But first, this server is not where I run IMatch - I do that on my capable workstation (but it is not always on - it is noisy). Can I run IMA on this separate machine from IMatch? I realize there is a performance disadvantage if the photos are on the server and I am using IMatch on them from a separate workstation. But I am not sure what else to try - suggestions welcome!

Secondly, I realize after adding a nice big HDD to the Win10 machine, it does not have AVX, and I missed that requirement in the IMA documentation too late. Does IMA for machines without AVX exist (still)?

I appreciate all the discussion and responses on the forum, and like IM very much! Thank you for helping as I stumble through this!

Mario

QuoteDoes IMA for machines without AVX exist (still)?
No, sorry.

I've discontinued support for non-AVX systems with the beginning of 2024.
Since 2021 I've maintained 7 different versions of IMatch Anywhere (HOME, PRO, TEAM, their non-AVX counterparts and the TRIAL version, which always required AVX). This was a lot of extra work.

When there were no downloads for the non-AVX versions of IMA for many months, I've decided to retire the non-AVX versions this year for good.

AVX is a decade old technology. The very few systems which used budget Intel/AMD processors or the rare Intel Xeon processor variants with disabled AVX die out due to age. It makes no sense for me to spend time and money to keep supporting them.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

OldGrowth

Mario,

Thank you for the quick reply! I understand your decision.

Is it usual to have a separate workstation for IMatch and server for IMA such as I am considering?

Thank you again!

Mario

QuoteIs it usual to have a separate workstation for IMatch and server for IMA such as I am considering?
This depends on what you are planning to do.

Many HOME users run IMatch on low-power PC's, laptops, Stick-PCs and similar. It runs well on such hardware, unless the database is huge or the number of parallel users is huge.

I run an instance of IMWS on a noiseless (no fans) PC with Windows 11, which also allows me to work with Windows on my big living room TV :)

Business and institutional users run it on dedicated machines or Cloud-VMs.

Note that you cannot open the same database both in IMWS and IMatch at the same time. Both applications need exclusive access to the database.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook