Where did "No" go?

Started by Mario, November 30, 2023, 08:15:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mario

As a developer, I have created many "Do you want to do XYZ?" messages boxes with the choices Yes or No.
And, when applicable, with the addition of a "Don't ask again" check box.

After recently installing and configuring a new phone and a new laptop, I have seen quite a number of message boxes with the choices Yes and Not Now.

Usually in relation to things like privacy settings, marketing contact permissions, tracking permissions, telemetry and other things where the software company really, really, wants you to agree to their question. Because it makes them money.

They don't give you the choice to say "No, I really don't want you to track everything that I do on my phone/PC". You can only say Yes, or they bring up the same message box over and over, with the only options being "Yes" and "Not Now".

I find this strange and quite annoying.

IMatch asks you once if you allow telemetry. If you say no, it stores the answer and never asks you again. It presents my case once, but that's it.
I think users would give me a hard time if I would change this dialog to show only "Yes" and "Not now" choices.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Jingo

Agree.. I think they are hoping at some point down the road, users either mistakenly just hit "YES/OK" or get tired of seeing these messages and just hit "YES/OK" to stop them.  Not a fan of this practice either!

Mario

It's a dark pattern for sure.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Damit

Very annoying!  How about the iphone's insistence in turning on live photos repeatedly or taking me to the password input screen to start downloading an update when I specifically told it I did not want to update it. Another thing it did was turn on automatic updates without me changing my setting.

Sometime around 2008-10 programmers decided they knew how to operate their software better than users and began to dictate how we could use their software: Here is a ribbon, you MUST use it! Apple, of course, has been doing it since the eighties, which is why I never bought into their ecosystem.

RobiWan

Quote from: Mario on November 30, 2023, 08:15:19 PMIMatch asks you once if you allow telemetry. If you say no, it stores the answer and never asks you again.
Never? I can't confirm that.
It's not often, but I mean after an update or if I don't use IMatch for a while

Quote from: Mario on November 30, 2023, 08:15:19 PMI find this strange and quite annoying.
Yes, that is often the problem. Manufacturers are becoming more and more aggressive when it comes to acquiring customer data

Mario

Well, it might ask after an update, when something has changed. Not sure. It's years that I've looked last at this code.
Might be an ask again every so often. But there is a "No" and not just a "later" or an always "on" minimal telemetry like in so many software products today. Most won't even tell you...

Telemetry is important because it shows me how you use IMatch, what works, what does not work, what is used how often etc

The only person ever seeing this data is me. I don't sell or share your data. It is deleted after 3 months, to save disk space on the server.

Every user not participating in telemetry causes gaps and uncertainty in the data. And when I remove a feature you use every day because I don't know because you don't allow telemetry, that would be bad, right?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

MrPete

Quote from: Mario on November 30, 2023, 08:15:19 PMI think users would give me a hard time if I would change this dialog to show only "Yes" and "Not now" choices.
Even worse: too often an app (particularly social media) will add new permission settings. Invariably, they assume my answer is "yes, allow this" and I start receiving unwanted messages etc.

Grrr.

I used to be an insider in the marketing data business (we're talking decades ago, pre-Internet LOL.) I always said: Big Brother is here right now. It is not the gov't, it's Big Business Marketing.

Now, it's both of course. ::)