New Folders being created by iMatch that I didn't do

Started by Mogli, November 20, 2023, 03:20:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mogli

I have experienced more than once where iMatch creates a new offline folder within iMatch without me telling it to. Yet it doesn't show up in Windows Explorer.

My Windows file structure is:

Network\MyCloudEX2Ultra\Morgan\Pictures\...

But in iMatch some additional folders appeared.  See attached pic. This was - at least once - after a power outage.  The files and the iMatch database are also both on a NAS that is connected only by wifi if that matters.

Any idea what's happening and how to correct and how to prevent?  Thanks.

Mario

IMatch cannot index folders which are not in the file system.
IMatch cannot index folders which are off-line (which is another word for IMatch cannot access a folder).

IMatch monitors the top-level folders you add to your database for new or updated files.
It does by default not add new sub-folders (unless you enable the advanced file system monitoring under Edit > Preferences > Indexing). And it does not automatically remove folders or files from the database (this could be disastrous).

If you run a NAS, keep in mind that this is computer running some sort of Linux. On that Linux runs some version of SAMBA, which simulates a Windows server and makes media / drives on your NAS available on your network.

Sometimes things break. And sometimes NAS boxes change the unique media serial number IMatch relies on to uniquely identify a media. If this happens (this is basically the same as you replacing a hard disk with another hard disk while keeping the D: drive letter) IMatch will report the drive / media as off-line, like the MYCLOUDX2ULTRA in your screen shot (with the yellow off-line indicator).

This would be my first guess. I have used NAS systems for many years, and I have experienced many strange things with different systems and SAMBA versions. Always make sure everything is up-to-date.

I'm quite sure when you select it and look at the media serial number in the properties panel, it differs from the media serial number shown for the online MORGAN... media.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Mogli

Thanks Mario.  I think the NAS reserialized after a hard shutdown from power outage.  I've ordered a UPS.

Meanwhile, can I just delete the top two offline folders, then drag the "morgan (0 / 12,785)" folder to the "MORGAN (\\MYCLOUDULTRA...) storage device icon, then delete the white rectangle object that says "Morgan [2B35-ED76]"?

Mario

1. Make a backup copy of the database. If something goes wrong, you can restore the backup and start over.

You can remove the offline folders using the context menu of the folders and the "remove from database" command.

The MORGAN (\\MYCLOUDULTRA ...) is the linked UNC (drive) and the MORGAN [2B35-ED76] is a media on that "drive".
Usually IMatch hides the drive node if there is one media I believe. Just close and reopen the database and see if this helps.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook