Saving Keywords

Started by rolandgifford, August 17, 2023, 08:00:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rolandgifford

According to the help -

"If you switch to another file while there are unsaved changes in the keyword panel, IMatch will prompt you to save or cancel your changes."

which doesn't happen for me, the changes are unconditionally changed.

Probably associated with this (and the main reason for this post) IMatch will sometimes save keyword changes that I haven't yet completed without Ctrl-S, clicking the tick box or moving to a different file selection. I'm aware of this so I am careful to sequence my changes correctly as one of those changes is to remove a "to-do list" keyword and I am now careful to make that change last.

I think that the auto-save is based on me selecting a different set of images to update and IMatch hasn't completed setting up the display (filtering or whatever) before I start making Keyword changes. I have a filter enabled to hide buddy files so selecting other images isn't instant. The displayed images are based on the to-do list keyword mentioned above so the images to be displayed changes after every update.

This isn't a 2023 change, IMatch has always done this.

Is there any way I can disable this auto-save? I can work with it but it is an irritant nevertheless.

Mario

Quotewhich doesn't happen for me, the changes are unconditionally changed.
Then you have once clicked on the "Don't show again" I guess.
Or I have removed the prompt dialog years ago and forgotten to update the help. Not sure right now.

QuoteProbably associated with this (and the main reason for this post) IMatch will sometimes save keyword changes that I haven't yet completed without Ctrl-S, clic
This might happen if the File Window has to reload because of some background activity (file ingest, face recognition etc.).

IMatch always opts for safety in this situation, committing your changes safely to the database.
You can always do an Edit > Undo to revert back to the original state.

If this happens often to you (which it should not) consider your workflow.

If you view a  @Keywords category while you editing keywords, it is much more likely that the File Window has to reload after your last keyword changes have been processed and the @Keywords category updates.
The same is true when you change the metadata a data-driven category is based on while having the very same category selected in a File Window.

You cannot disable the auto save, for good reasons.
In the very rare case IMatch commits keyword changes to the database, just continue working or use Edit > Undo to undo the changes.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

rolandgifford

Quote from: Mario on August 17, 2023, 08:09:46 PM
QuoteThis might happen if the File Window has to reload because of some background activity (file ingest, face recognition etc.).

If this happens often to you (which it should not) consider your workflow.

Understood

With my workflow the File Window needs to reload after every edit as I am showing images with a particular Keyword and one of the edits is to remove that Keyword. The File Window shows me images that I need to update.

I have recently considered changing my workflow to use a Category instead of a Keyword for this as it is purely internal to my workflow and won't exist in the completed metadata but my workflow requires the Keyword edit and removal of this 'to-do list' marker to be removed at the same time and I can't see how to edit Keywords and Categories in one hit. Changing to Categories probably wouldn't help anyway as the File Window would still need to be reloaded with every edit. Any suggestions appreciated.

The irritant isn't that part edited changes are being saved (they are ones that I will want to commit) but that the Keywords displayed move after the save meaning that my mouse pointer which was over the Keyword I wanted to edit next is now over the wrong Keyword and I have occasionally updated the wrong one.

Mario

Consider temporarily "persisting" the files you work on in a Result Window in that case.
Select the files, press <Ctrl>+<G>, <R> to open them in a Result Window. This avoid all the updates and reloads of the File Window while you modify the keywords you actively viewing.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook