Exclusion for virus scanner

Started by hluxem, August 13, 2023, 02:12:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hluxem

QuoteIf you run into performance problems with IMatch (slow database load times, general sluggish performance), you should exclude the folder (!) containing the database from "on-access" virus checks for optimal performance. Excluding the entire folder is important, because IMatch and the database system create short-lived temporary files in that folder all the time.
Let your virus checker scan the database folder at least once per day to be on the safe side.

I'm using W11Pro and have the database and Imatch program folders excluded. I can't find a way to let defender scan the folder at least ones a day. Any advice on how to do this?

Thanks,
Heiner

Mario

Just remove the exclusion and see if this causes problems?
Windows Defender usually does not get in the way.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

thrinn

Quote from: hluxem on August 13, 2023, 02:12:53 AMI can't find a way to let defender scan the folder at least ones a day. Any advice on how to do this?
Should be possible using the Task Planner (Aufgabenplanung). There is a MS support article, but you can find also some more detailed articles - just google for "Task Planner Defender" or the German pendant.
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

mopperle

Quote from: thrinn on August 13, 2023, 01:42:30 PM
Quote from: hluxem on August 13, 2023, 02:12:53 AMI can't find a way to let defender scan the folder at least ones a day. Any advice on how to do this?
Should be possible using the Task Planner (Aufgabenplanung). There is a MS support article, but you can find also some more detailed articles - just google for "Task Planner Defender" or the German pendant.
I dont think that this will work with excluded files/folders

hluxem

Thanks to everybody!
I will start with removing the exclusions and see if I run into any issues. 

Heiner

Mario

Windows Defender usually does not get in the way.
Although I've had an email support case which took two days to figure out and in the end it was Windows Defender. Adding an exclusion for exiftool.exe in the IMatch program files folder fixed it.
Sometimes such issues appear over night, when a signature update for the virus checker is installed.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Darius1968

I'm now using Windows Defender myself and do have the IMatch executable in my list of exclusions.  However, I of course want to periodically scan each and every folder/file under photools.com, but, as is, when I do, the files under my exclusions are skipped.  So, how do I instruct Defender to scan even the excluded files if I myself initiate the scan of the photools.com folder? 

Mario

Quote from: Darius1968 on August 14, 2023, 07:18:27 AMI'm now using Windows Defender myself and do have the IMatch executable in my list of exclusions.  However, I of course want to periodically scan each and every folder/file under photools.com, but, as is, when I do, the files under my exclusions are skipped.  So, how do I instruct Defender to scan even the excluded files if I myself initiate the scan of the photools.com folder? 
That's a question for Microsoft Support, I believe. They should be able to answer this question.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

thrinn

Apparently there is a command line utility MpCmdRun.exe to control Defender from the command line. According to the MS documentation, it should be possible to use the following combination of options. ScanType 3 is a custom scan, where you provide the path to be scanned by the File option. DisableRemediation ignores the exclusions you defined.

-Scan -ScanType 3 -File <path> -DisableRemediation
I never used it myself, but it looks promising.
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

Lord_Helmchen

Quote from: Mario on August 13, 2023, 07:28:36 PMAdding an exclusion for exiftool.exe in the IMatch program files folder fixed it.

What does exclude exiftool.exe mean in detail. Should I exclude it as "File" or "Process"? I have added IMatch in both was. But what is the best way, to not duplicate everything?

Mario

IMatch launches exiftool.exe as a "process" to read and write metadata.

Needless to say that you first should "scan" the executable with your virus checker (how to do this varies) before you exclude the executable.
Just in case some malicious actor managed to replace the exiftool.exe installed by IMatch with an exiftool.exe that has somehow "altered".
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator