Image Batch Processor

Started by Reinhard, May 23, 2023, 04:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reinhard

Hi Mario,

is it possible to export original heic images unmodified to a different folder structure with the Image Batch Processor?
Export to jpeg works fine. But if I use the Option "Export Original File Unmodified" the folder structure will be created but no files will be coppied.

Best, Reinhard

mopperle

Works fine here. Tested it with a folder containing various raw files.
Do you get an error message? Maybe you can post a screenshot of your folder setting

Mario

And include a copy of a log file (see log file) of an IMatch session where you used the Batch Processor to do that.
This provides a minimum of information to work with.

I've tested this (export files unmodified into a dynamically created output folder) and HEIC / HEIF files were processed like any other file - successfully.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Reinhard

Sorry, but it will not proberly work for me. I run a new test. The result windows says:

Original File Output File Result
D:\DigFotos\Archiv\2023\05\04\230504-IPD-2653.HEIC F:\X\Test\230504-IPD-2653.HEIC Success
D:\DigFotos\Archiv\2023\05\04\230504-IPD-2653.JPG F:\X\Test\230504-IPD-2653.JPG Success
D:\DigFotos\Archiv\2023\05\04\230504-IPD-2661.HEIC F:\X\Test\230504-IPD-2661.HEIC Success
D:\DigFotos\Archiv\2023\05\04\230504-IPD-2673.JPG F:\X\Test\230504-IPD-2673.JPG Success

But only the jpeg files are in the destination folder (Windows Explorer). If I go to the destination folder in IMatch the JPEGs are there, but theHEIC files are marked as off-line.

Please see the attached log file.

Mario

"Marked as off-line" would indicate that you are copying the files into a folder managed by IMatch with your Batch Processor preset?

IMatch reports in the log file:

ScanFile for new file F:\X\Test\230504-IPD-2653.HEIC

which looks like you are copying files using the Batch Processor into a folder indexed by your IMatch database.
IMatch notices the new file and scans it, also the JPEG file.

The Batch Processor also copies metadata between files. This does not look as if you would just export the file unmodified but you also modify the metadata when exporting the files?

I see that metadata is imported from the new JPEG files, but I don't see this for the HEIC files, which is curious.
IMatch scans the file but decides not to import it?
Or is the HEIC file already gone (why?) at that point in time.
The Batch Processor or IMatch do not delete files.

Do you use buddy files? Is the JPEG a buddy of the HEIC or vice-versa?

I see no warnings or errors in the log file so neither IMatch or the Batch Processor have noticed anything.
And I don't recall a similar case ever been reported.
We need more details, screen shots of your Batch Processor settings, the output folder in Windows Explorer.

Also, copy a HEIC file with Windows Explorer to the " F:\X\Test\" folder.
Does it show up?
Does IMatch index it successfully after a while?

HEIC files are a really bad pest due to the vast number of patents attached to the format by Apple, Nokia, Samsung and others. Nobody really likes to touch them - except Apple.
But HEIC files normally don't behave any different than other file formats in IMatch.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Reinhard

Quote from: Mario on May 24, 2023, 04:55:53 PM"Marked as off-line" would indicate that you are copying the files into a folder managed by IMatch with your Batch Processor preset?

Yes, the destination folder is managed by IMatch. But even if not, it makes no difference.

QuoteDo you use buddy files? Is the JPEG a buddy of the HEIC or vice-versa?

No, I have deleted all relations for HEIC files and set Relations to default with no success.

QuoteAlso, copy a HEIC file with Windows Explorer to the " F:\X\Test\" folder.
Does it show up?
Does IMatch index it successfully after a while?

That works fine. Also I can successfully move or copy HEIC files to "F:\X\Test\" in IMatch per drag and drop or copy/paste.

Mario

OK, repeat the initial test but keep the Results dialog open in the BP (where it says success).
Open the folder in Windows Explorer. Are the HEIC files there?
What happens when you only select one HEIC file and run the BP?

This appears to be something that happens only on your PC, with your files and your BP preset.
The more we can learn how different ways of doing this change the outcome, the more likely we can figure out what the problem is
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Reinhard

Sorry for the late feedback. I did some more tests. The files appear briefly in explorer but disappear again before the success message appears. I have also uninstalled IMatch and reinstalled the current version and done all windows updates ... without success.

But in the meantime I found something else: unmodified copying with the batch processor works well when no xmp files are present. Files with an xmp buddy are not copied resp. disappear after copying. By the way, this does not only affect HEIC-files. All RAW files with whom I have tested (ARW, NEF, ORF, CR2) have not been copied if they had xmp sidecar files.

I had set all file relations to default and I have no additional entries for xmp files. When I manually move or copy files within IMatch xmp files are handled correctly.

Mario

HEIC files use embedded XMP metadata, not XMP sidecar files. IMatch does not create XMP sidecar files for HEIC/HEIF.

I've also tried with other files, NEF and CR3 in my case.
Both RAW files have a XMP sidecar file.

When I export (copy) the RAW files to a different folder with the BP, the two files are copied and don't vanish.
The XMP files are not copied. Not sure if this is a bug or feature.

Normally you don't use the BP to copy RAW files around on your system. IMatch has Copy commands for that, which take care for things like sidecar files.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Reinhard

QuoteHEIC files use embedded XMP metadata, not XMP sidecar files. IMatch does not create XMP sidecar files for HEIC/HEIF

Except File Format Metadata Options is set to "force XMP sidecar file". :o

I don't know why? Maybe I've set this a long time ago, in the first days of HEIC???

QuoteNormally you don't use the BP to copy RAW files around on your system

Ok, I will change my workflow ...

I think we can close this thread. Thank you again for your great support.

Mario

QuoteExcept File Format Metadata Options is set to "force XMP sidecar file". :o 
This is non-standard, not recommended and not supported.
This setting exists only for very specific purposes and a small number of users who need this.

You should set this back to the default value, it can have severe consequences like other applications not seeing the metadata you have forced IMatch to write into sidecar files. Standard-compliant applications expect metadata in the standardized location.

You can try Commands menu > File > Extras > Import XMP metadata to remedy this situation.
Hopefully you have changed this only for HEIC/HEIF and not RAW formats as well.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator