Unexpected Keyboard Shortcut behavior

Started by Damit, March 13, 2023, 03:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Damit

Perhaps I am not understanding the keyboard shortcut cheat sheet, but I have noticed that if I just hit a number between 0-4 while a file is selected in the File Window that the file now gets designated that rating. I thought one had to hit Ctrl first for this to happen.

I have been having trouble making sure that files are not mis-rated as I have noticed several ratings and I have not rated anything.  With all the keyboard shortcuts I need to make sure I am not accidentally changing the metadata without realizing it.

Mario

If in doubt, just check the keyboards shortcuts shown in the menus:

Image1.jpg

Note: (zehnertastatur) will be translated by Windows in whatever UI language and keyboard you use.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Damit

OK. Thanks! It is interesting, this may be the first time I see a disagreement between the shortcuts page and the program itself. I will not report the typo as you are now aware that the cheatsheet mentions a Crtl. I wish the Crtl was necessary, as not requiring it may cause someone to accidentally rate images with a simple typo. This may explain some of the ratings I have noticed popping up here and there, even though I have not rated anything.

I know you have stated your do not think customizable keyboard shortcuts are worth the trouble, but I am still going to request it. It does not hurt to ask.

sinus

Quote from: Damit on March 13, 2023, 03:33:10 PM... but I am still going to request it. It does not hurt to ask.

Very true.  :)
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

QuoteI will not report the typo as you are now aware that the cheatsheet mentions a Crtl.
I have already fixed the typos for the IMatch 2023 help edition. You are the first user ever reporting this, so it appears that it is not a problem many users run into. The ultimative reference are the menus, since different localizations (language versions of IMatch) may use different keyboard shortcuts.

QuoteI know you have stated your do not think customizable keyboard shortcuts are worth the trouble.
Precisely.

Quote, but I am still going to request it. It does not hurt to ask.
Feel free to do so. I still think this is not worth it and would be a waste of two or easily more weeks or work.

Tip: You can assign custom keyboard shortcuts to Favorites. So, maybe make a favorite for the task?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

loweskid

If you want customizable shortcuts I can recommend a programmable keypad such as the Stream Deck or the Cherry.

An advantage of using either of the above is that you can have a different set of shortcuts for different programs.   I use both - the Cherry for shortcuts that are common to all (Copy, Paste, etc.) and the Stream Deck for individual programs which have their own set of shortcuts (IMatch, Photoshop etc.).

Damit

Thanks for your input.  I use a G-Sync keyboard that can do similar things.  Really, at this point I am more interested in turning off some of the shortcuts, such as just pressing 1 for rating a file as 1 star.  I am thinking for using Labels or perhaps Categories to replace the inherent rating system. That way I can rate more manually and not sorry about adding or removing a rating by mistake. I could always use the default rating system and double check it with whatever I end up using.

Mario

If you assign a rating by mistake, just use Undo (<Ctrl>+<Z>).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Damit

Good point. Yes, and Undo is essential, but there are so many things that can reset it before you notice.  Sometimes you are just not aware and you close the program.

I think my workaround may work and give me peace of mind. I am not sure the short cut will be a problem but at least this way I can insure it wont.