Exiftool error message...

Started by rafiki, December 07, 2022, 12:02:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rafiki

I see the attached error box on startup of the latest version of iMatch. Windows Control Panel/Programs & Features does not give an option to repair iMatch. The uninstaller just uninstalls. Reinstalling iMatch has not fixed the problem. I have run it with all antivirus software switched off without improvement. What next?

Mario

Please attach the IMatch log file (see log file)

Did you reboot your system once?
Do you see a file named exiftool.exe in the "c:\program files\photools.com\IMatch 6" when you open the folder in Windows Explorer.

There are two known reasons for this error message:

1. The virus checker has deleted exiftool.exe or moved it into quarantine
2. The virus checker is preventing ExifTool from running.

The IMatch log file will tell me which one.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

rafiki

Yes, I did reboot.
Yes, I do see the exiftool file.

Log file attached.

Mario

The exiftool.exe file exists.
When IMatch tries to run it, this is declined with error code 5 (access denied):

>    ExifTool: Failed to launch. Error code: 5

This means that a) something on your system is actively preventing IMatch from launching the exiftool.exe executable or b) for some obscure reason your user account has no (longer) execute permissions for the file.

Right-click on the exiftool.exe in Windows Explorer and open the Properties. On the Security tab check that "Authenticated Users" have read/write/execute permissions for the file. If this is not the case, enable these privileges (again, because they are set by default).

If this is the case, your virus-checker or some other software is blocking IMatch launching ExifTool or ExifTool from launching.

If this is a corporate PC, ask your IT people if they have restricted your permissions via a group policy.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

rafiki

Thank you. The authorised user accounts were, indeed, unchecked for 'write'. After checking those boxes and rebooting, iMatch started normally, just informing a newer exiftool version was available and updated it. A subsequent restart performed normally.

Jingo

Very strange.. I am suddenly getting the same EXIFTOOL error message and see the error code: 5 in the log. 

I have verified the exiftool.exe program exists in the program path, checked user access to the file (all have read/write/execute) and rebooted.  Windows virus did not quarantine any programs.. I'm at a loss I guess except reinstalling... IMatch worked just fine 2 days ago... now.. poof!

XYplorer_nqEFh6VJsI.png

Mario

1. Clean the temp folder on your system (Enter %TEMP% into the Windows Explorer address bar).
2. Open a command prompt and CD to the IMatch Program Files folder.
3. Run exiftool via the following command

exiftool -ver

and press <Enter>.

What happens?
ExifTool Version shown?
Error message?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Jingo

So odd - I deleted the TEMP folder and ran the exiftool command... received the version back (12.49).  Launched IMatch... same error appears.

Mario

Then something external is blocking IMatch from using ExifTool.
Virus Checker? Windows Defender?

Error code 5 means "access denied". So which tool or service could deny IMatch to access ExifTool. If it worked two days ago?

Windows Defender usually makes no problems, but other virus checkers may. Sometimes even only with one specific update, and the problem goes away when the virus checker updates the next date or hour.

Try to configure the IMatch executable IMatch2021x64.exe as an exception in your virus checker.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Jingo

No dice.. added exclusions to defender for imatch and exiftool and still same error... the only way I can get it to launch is when I chose to right click the IMatch2021x64.exe and choose to run as adminstrator (instead of using my start menu shortcut which I typically do)... Then, it starts right up without the error! 

Odd... I've been using the same link forever to launch IMatch... suppose the recent windows update that I was forced to take did something to my user admin rights or something? 

In order to get things to run again, I had to "Grant Admin Full Control" on IMatch executable as well as my shortcut launcher (listary)... now, the shortcut via listary works again.

ODD.. but resolved (hopefully)!