Using 'Find' in the Map Panel

Started by pmcabinet, August 25, 2022, 10:24:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pmcabinet

The issue here has not been discussed for a long time - so I hope it's OK to start a new topic?

New to iMatch, I have many old files with no GPS coordinates recorded and have been trying to assign locations. When I open the Map Panel (a file is selected that has no location data), go to Find Location, type in the name of a place - nothing happens. I have enabled all the necessary APIs, I think, in Google Maps Cloud (see attachment) and looked at the log file (see attachment) but I don't know how to interpret the latter.

The map remains showing the last viewed location and no places are listed. Maps work OK in all other functions.

So I'm stumped! What am I not doing, or missing? - and thank you for your patience!

PS: I've just noticed that Google Maps Cloud console shows 15 requests for Geocoding API and 15 errors. I have no idea why.

Mario

If Google rejects your requests with errors, probably the credentials are incorrect or you have not added a credit card to your account. Google requires a CC even for the free quota for a one or two years now.
Click on the "Details" link to see what Google is complaining about in detail, this might help you solve the problem.

Additional info may be available in the "Apps" Output Panel (View menu > Panels > Output Panel) after you have tried to search.

See https://www.photools.com/imatch-retired/api-keys-explained/ for information about Google APIs and which APIs you have to enable.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

pmcabinet

Well, I'm rather at sea now. Google has my CC registered, and as I mentioned the ordinary map functions work fine. My original API key was created to use with Geosetter.de, but Google withdrew it for some reason and I had to create a new one. I noticed that Key2 (as I named the new one)) had only three APIs enabled; so I have added Geocoding and Geolocation and maybe that will do the trick.

For the inexperienced, navigating Google Cloud Console API stuff is a real problem; I'm nervous about deleting the old invalid key in case I blow the whole thing up. It took a lot of work to create these keys, because, to be frank, I didn't, and don't, really know what I'm doing!

So your help is much appreciated. I want to understand iMatch because it's so powerful - but I do have to say that it's difficult to find a focus in the Help material. For instance, perhaps the page on API Keys could give an indication of just which APIs need to be enabled for the map to work fully?

To end on a happy note: I have just tried the map search location again - it works! So it was the missing Geocoding API causing the problem.

Thank you Mario. 

Mario

QuoteFor the inexperienced, navigating Google Cloud Console API stuff is a real problem;

The Google interface is not intended for normal people, it is designed for developers and corporations.
Way too complicated for normal people. As I just wrote in another post a couple of days ago:

Quote from: Mario on August 24, 2022, 11:23:25 AM
I would love to just offer built-in reverse geocoding in IMatch (and mapping), without the user having to use their own accounts.
But then I would have to pay for the Google/Here/Bing usage of all IMatch users, and I would be broke in a week  ;D

Such a thing is only feasible for big corporations like Adobe, which make special deals with Google and get bit rebates by "sharing" data about their customers with Google.
And mapping and reverse geo-coding in Lightroom stops working immediately when your subscription ends.

QuoteFor instance, perhaps the page on API Keys could give an indication of just which APIs need to be enabled for the map to work fully?

It does.
The section about Google explains that:

1. "Geocoding" is needed for geocoding and searching and
2. "Maps Elevation API" and "Maps Javascript API" for the Map Panel.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook