Question about GPS Data

Started by Belenos2017, July 22, 2022, 10:41:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Belenos2017

I use the Canon GPS receiver GpE2. When importing into Imatch I notice that the geographical location of the shot is recorded correctly. In addition, the map also shows information about the direction of the shot, but this is often wrong. Already during recording, this compass information is displayed incorrectly on the camera.

Question 1 (non Imatch) - where can this error come from? How can it be avoided?

Question 2 (Imatch) - Where can I find the associated meta data? Is it just one or several?

Question 3 (Imatch) - How can I transfer the correct data from another photo to the wrong ones from the same shooting?

Mario

2. GPS metadata consists of about 20 or so metadata tags. Lat/Lon/Alt, Dest Lat/Lon/Alt, timestamps etc.

See and The Map Panel and especially Destination Coordinates ('Location Shown')

You can see the coordinates in the The Metadata Panel using the Image layout.

IMatch is one of very few applications which supports both GPS created and GPS shown/destination coordinates.
Usually devices like cameras don't fill in "shown" coordinates, unless they have some way to determine where there camera is pointing at. But this is usually a bit of guesswork, even with compass and auto-focus data...

3. You can copy the contents of GPS tags like you would copy any other tag.
In the Metadata Panel via the pen, using a Metadata Panel layout to copy & paste, using the Copy & Paste Attributes command (copy GPS and GPS Dest subsets) etc.
Tips for Copying Metadata - Copying Metadata between Files
Copying Attributes, Metadata and Categories Between Files
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

loweskid

Quote from: Belenos2017 on July 22, 2022, 10:41:42 AM
Question 1 (non Imatch) - where can this error come from? How can it be avoided?

I'm not familiar with the GpE2 but I used to use an Easytagger GPS unit on a Nikon.  This recorded the compass direction and also the angle covered by the lens.

This worked well - except when it didn't.. :)  The problem was that every time it was powered up it had to be rotated by 360 degrees in order to calibrate the compass.  Then the unit had to be kept horizontal all the time otherwise it lost the compass calibration - and then you had go through the 360 deg. palaver again.  Maybe something like this is causing your problem.

I got fed up with it in the end - keeping the GBS unit horizontal meant, as it was mounted on the hot shoe, that I couldn't slip the camera into its case.

mopperle

QuoteQuestion 1 (non Imatch) - where can this error come from? How can it be avoided?
I suggest to read the manual of the GP-E2 about the calibration process.

Belenos2017

Thank you Mario for the quick and detailed answer!

Thank you loweskid and mopperle: It is indeed worth reading the operating instructions more carefully and even several times! It seems to be my mistake: In this device, the system for the GPS coordinates is apparently different from the system for the compass data - and this actually has to be readjusted for each new position.