Long time write-back and hang

Started by Darius1968, July 16, 2022, 06:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darius1968

The first log file is about my having tried to write-back the metadata to about 15 mp4 files and IMatch hanged indefinitely right in the middle of the procedure, making it necessary for me to force-close IMatch. 

The second log file shows that the write-back operation for certain mp4 files is taking around 15 sec. 

What are the problems with these particular mp4 files that are simply screen recordings made with OBS Studio?  Not all mp4 files are taking this long to perform metadata write-backs. 

P.S.
The write-back operation has corrupted some of my files, and since these recordings were made just yesterday, no other backups exist.  So, what can I do to try to recover and restore these files? 

Mario

Check the lines with W> in your log files.
IMatch writes many of your MP4 files in 0.1 seconds, for others it reports Writeback failed with no further info. Anything special about the files with these warnings?
If you have to shut-down IMatch, my guess is that the virus checker interfered and blocked ExifTool from writing the files. If the AV blocked ET in mid-stream, there is a slight, but unlikely chance, that the file is damaged. But that would be super rare, because ExifTool uses a temporary file for writing, and only replaces the original after the write has completed successfully. But virus checkers have done strange things.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Darius1968

Well, to try and troubleshoot, I deactivated the real-time file-scanning of my antivirus software (Avast).  The result is the attached zip file (Antivirus-Deactivated.zip), which accounts (hopefully) for the write-back taking 10 sec., despite what I did to the antivirus solution.  Any hints here? 

Mario

Warnings are gone, except for the common ' No writable tags set from', which is normal.
Write time 10s, which is OK for a MP4, depending on the size.

If this happens when you write many files, your system may be overloaded (or the AV).
Try to reduce the write-back threads under Edit > Preferences > Application: Process Control. See Process Control (Advanced Setting)
Maybe use 2 parallel threads while writing back to large MP4 files, to reduce the load on your system.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook