Allow filtering for event cover image - or assign category to cover image

Started by ubacher, May 26, 2022, 09:03:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ubacher

One could display a summary of events (events cover images) if one had a
fixed category assigned to cover images.
An alternative would be to have a method to filter for cover images
(Under File Properties?)

(A thought just came to me: could one create a calculated category for this?
I will check.)

Mario

If you assign a category to cover files you use for events, this category, sorted by date, would display all your events in sequential order, right?
Note that you can assign up to 4 cover files to an event, so you might need to adapt this to your needs.

You can also create data-driven categories based on Events. Variables, e.g. to automatically organize files based on the event category or title or location or persons or...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ubacher

QuoteYou can also create data-driven categories based on Events. Variables

Unfortunately not for cover images.

This feature request just asks to make a category assignment automatically. This would not impact any user
who does not want to use this.

(For correctness one should then not allow a cover image to be associated with more than one event.)

Mario

QuoteUnfortunately not for cover images.

What would a "cover images" variable return? A list of file names? A list of file ids?
Neither would be usable for a data-driven category that produces what you have in mind, I suspect.

Quote from: ubacher on May 26, 2022, 09:50:57 PM
(For correctness one should then not allow a cover image to be associated with more than one event.)

That would be quite limiting. I really enjoy being able to 'depict' an event with multiple images.

I guess you are trying to create some sort of event timeline outside the Event View, right? By somehow using cover images in a category or whatever.
And you can, by just assigning the files you use for your events to a category. I don't see a need to automate this in any way. Most users get by with maybe 100 events, adding a few events per month. Very doable to assign the cover files to a category of your choice, to produce whatever you have in mind.

I use the Event View to see all my events, and their cover files, aligned long the timeline like pearls...
I use the filter dialog to get a compressed list of events if needed and to control which events I want to see. Disabling the files calendar produces a very compact view, allowing me to see the events of many months or even years on a single screen page.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ubacher

My attempt to display events in a way other than the timeline stems from finding
the timeline very cumbersome to switch to an event. Probably because I do not use EVENTS in
unintended ways. Sorry.

PS: But I do find EVENTS very practical and I use them a lot!!