Searching file window or entire database - unclear state

Started by ubacher, April 26, 2022, 06:09:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ubacher

When searching for files we can select between searching the file window or searching the
entire database. It is unclear which state (gray or yellow) represents searching the entire database.

The popup info (when moving the mouse over the icon) always gives the same text.
This should be changed.

Is it that he search does not work (by design) when one is on a result window? Seems so.

frankdarwin

With me is clearly recognizable.
Windows gray, database yellow.

frankdarwin

Search in file window is the normal state and that is why the icon is not highlighted.

Mario

I also think that the state of this check box (in form of a database icon is pretty clear). When not enabled, it is gray and shows no orange highlight. Same for all other options you can enable and disable in the toolbar.
The database-wide search also works in Result Windows. I have just tried it.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Quote from: Mario on April 26, 2022, 06:36:49 PM
The database-wide search also works in Result Windows. I have just tried it.

Yep, I have tried it also just now with the newest version, works.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

ubacher

QuoteSearch in file window is the normal state
I did not know this. And had no way to find out except by trial and error.

QuoteThe database-wide search also works in Result Windows. I have just tried it.

But if I only want to search the files in the result folder? Can't get that to work.

sinus

Quote from: ubacher on April 27, 2022, 01:16:10 PM
QuoteThe database-wide search also works in Result Windows. I have just tried it.

But if I only want to search the files in the result folder? Can't get that to work.

ubacher, I tried it again (to be sure, because I do seldom use this search), and it works.

If I am in the result-window, then the database - icon is off, and I can search in the results for finetuning.

If I want again search the whole DB, then I click on the (grey) database-icon and IMatch searches the whole DB.

The only thing, the search is always in the same result-window, unfortunately.
But we can do this of course also, like in the help:

QuoteA neat trick is to perform a search, then mark all files with Ctrl+A and then open these files in a new result window using Ctrl+G, R. Then you can search again, in the previous search results!
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

Quote from: ubacher on April 27, 2022, 01:16:10 PM
QuoteBut if I only want to search the files in the result folder? Can't get that to work.

By default, File Windows search the current scope: Where to Search: Scope or Database.
The scope of a Result Window are all files in the Result Window.
For more details about the behavior of the global search when you run it from a result window, see The Database Search Result Window
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook