Author Topic: folder rescan mode that does not wipe out offline references  (Read 316 times)

mking

• New Members
folder rescan mode that does not wipe out offline references
« on: January 07, 2022, 07:23:48 PM »
With the increasing number of source files;
just 2hrs with a GFX100s macro focus stacking I generated 500GB of raw source data....

For me the solution I would like to have is to move source files to HDD offline with fixed disk letter once I have done my initial processing on them;
then have them referenced by iMatch as an offline file/folder.
Then when I need to access the source data in the future,  I can mount the HDD and iMatch will just find it.

The only issue seems to be that rescan currently wipes out offline references - not good in this situation.

If we can have a rescan mode that does not wipe out offline references that would solve this issue.

With the increasing image size, shooting FPS and options like focus stacking / high res modes, this must be an issue more and more users are facing.

Thanks,

Kind regards,
Mike

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
Re: folder rescan mode that does not wipe out offline references
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2022, 08:15:59 PM »
Keep in mind that the mentioned behavior only happens when the user forcefully rescans a parent folder. Not when IMatch rescans the parent folderdue to Windows messages about new or updates files.

Tveloso

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2022, 04:39:35 AM »
Mike, If I'm understanding correctly, you would like to move your RAW (Source) Files onto an external HDD (and do so outside of IMatch), such that as far as IMatch is concerned, they are still in their original location (a local SSD), and they therefore become off-line files. 

Then the concern is that if you should re-scan one of the parent folders of the former location on the SSD (where IMatch believes those files still are), they'll then be removed from the database.

Could you instead also index the HDD target location in IMatch, and then perform the move operation within IMatch?  Via that approach, you get another media node (for the HDD) in the Media and Folders view, and then if you remove that HDD from your PC, that entire Media will become off-line.  Then there's no danger of rescanning/removing the Files, since the top-level folder(s) on that HDD will be off-line.

But if you have some requirement for keeping them in their former location (in the Database), the "Remove non-existing files from database" flag in Edit > Preferences > Indexing may already provide that functionality.  Mario, does that control flag pertain to both automatic, and user-initiated re-scans?
--Tony

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2022, 06:44:37 PM »
Have you tried to disable the option Remove non-existing folders from database under Edit > Preferences > Indexing?
This will do exactly what you want.

This is such a rare situation, I'd forgotten about this particular option.