I search a good idea to "transfer" Metadata-values

Started by sinus, September 03, 2021, 09:24:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinus

Hmmm, I think my head is pretty empty right now and I can't find a solution to a little problem.
Maybe someone knows a good solution, if there is one.

I click on a picture and want to transfer the information in some metadata fields to several other pictures.
These fields to be transferred are mostly the same, e.g:

Headline
Shown-city
Shown-country
GPS-Altitude
Creator

I select now one source-file with the correct data.
Is there an easy way to transfer this data from one image to many other selected images?

I know that you can do this in the metadata panel, because there all fields with different data are displayed (multiple values) and you can click on each field and it will be adjusted.
But if you have many metadata fields to transfer (e.g. 10), then it is quite tedious to click 10 times, especially if you have thousands of images.

Is there perhaps an easy way? I looked in the apps but didn't find anything and hm, I guess the metadata templates don't help either?

As I said, my head is almost empty, maybe someone has a great idea?  ;D
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

sinus

Quote from: bekesizl on September 03, 2021, 10:31:22 AM
You could try this: https://www.photools.com/help/imatch/#paste_attributes.htm?dl=h-3

Hey bekesizl,
thanks a lot.

This seems to be a very good way. Though it works here not (paste attributes and Data is outgreyed, cannot choose it and also Shift Ctrl V works not).

But this is maybe, because I am still on IMatch 2020, but not more long, I think, in the next few days I will have the time to upgrade to 2021 and look for all the fine news.  :)
I will try it after my update.
Markus

bekesizl

I have no access to my IMatch at the moment, but it was definitely not a 2021 feature.
It did work in 2020.

Maybe it has something to do with your selection for paste, e.g. photos and videos mixed.
Or have you executed copy on the source image before using paste on the target images?

I am no expert here. I used it once and remembered.

sinus

Thanks, bekesizl

I will check this better, as soon as I have more time.
But you have directed me in the right direction, I think!
Thanks!  :)
Markus

Tveloso

Markus, could it be that you simply did not have anything (it the correct kind of thing) in the clipboard yet?...(and that's why the Paste Attributes and Data Option was grayed out?)...

If you select a single file, and press Ctrl-C, then select one or more other files, the Option should be available on the context menu (and Shift-Ctrl-V should also open that dialog)...
--Tony

Mario

To transfer one or more tag values from file A to b,c,d =>

select b,c,d and A last (A must be the focused file with the yellow border).
The Metadata panel now shows "Multiple Values" for the tags with different values (if not, all files already have the same data).

Click the pen icon in front of the tags you want to transfer from A to b,c,d
The tag input field now shows the value of file A.

Press Ctrl+S to save the changes.
That's all.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Quote from: Tveloso on September 03, 2021, 01:34:02 PM
Markus, could it be that you simply did not have anything (it the correct kind of thing) in the clipboard yet?...(and that's why the Paste Attributes and Data Option was grayed out?)...

If you select a single file, and press Ctrl-C, then select one or more other files, the Option should be available on the context menu (and Shift-Ctrl-V should also open that dialog)...

Thanks, Tony,
hm, I am quite sure, that I had something in the Clipboard.
But thanks for the hint, I will also check this.
Markus

sinus

Quote from: Mario on September 03, 2021, 01:41:12 PM
To transfer one or more tag values from file A to b,c,d =>

select b,c,d and A last (A must be the focused file with the yellow border).
The Metadata panel now shows "Multiple Values" for the tags with different values (if not, all files already have the same data).

Click the pen icon in front of the tags you want to transfer from A to b,c,d
The tag input field now shows the value of file A.

Press Ctrl+S to save the changes.
That's all.

Yes, thanks, Mario
This is what I do now, and this is a very good way, maybe I have not pointed this out clear.

For do this, say with two or three fields, then this is very easy.

But I asked, because if you have a lot of images and you want copy a lot of Metadata, then this steps here a very timeconsuming.

I will check better the way, what bekesizl explained, I guess, this should be a very good way for change a lot of metadata-fields.
Markus

Mario

The use Ctrl+V and Shift+Ctrl+V with the Copy Attributes command: Copying Attributes and Metadata Between Files
Just tried it, works a charm. Note that this command works via the actual file data in the files (using ExifTool) to ensure that the metadata is copied and linked tags are updated as well.

Another common way is to setup a Metadata Panel layout containing the tags you want to copy, e.g.

Select the file you want to use as the source and click on the Copy button in the Metadata Panel toolbar.
Select the files you want to copy data to, and click the Paste button in the Metadata Panel toolbar.
That's all.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook