Tips, Suggestions on moving to a second computer???

Started by Ted, October 22, 2013, 04:12:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted

So, I've been doing my testing on Windows 7.  My computer actually came with Windows 8 and that is still intact on a separate drive (currently E).  I'm going to upgrade the Win 8 to Win 8.1 and want to test IM5 on Win 8.1.

I've read the help file on Backup and understand that portion of it.  I assume that after I install IM5 on Win 8.1 and do a restore of the database, settings, and per-user data all should work.

Just wondering if anyone has setup a second computer, or moved from Win 7 to 8.1, or if you have any suggestions or cautions before I get started.

I thought I had read some message on this forum about this, but was unable to find it now.

Thanks.
-----
Ted
Enjoying life one day at a time.

Mario

1. Install the beta

2. Since the database is just a file, it should be accessible from W8 as well - unless you reformat your drive or anything. In this case, copy it over.
3. Copy over the PTS file (must go to from C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatch5\config\imatch5.pts to the same folder on your W8 installation).

That's it.

Check in IMatch under Help > Support that Debug mode is on because this setting is stored in the registry and thus will be reset under W8.

Tip: Use the same computer name and user name under Windows 8 so your IMatch 5 preferences remain valid.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Ted

Easy as could be.  Thanks.

I decided to install IM5 before I upgraded to Win 8.1, so I still need to do that, but the IM5 part was dead easy.
-----
Ted
Enjoying life one day at a time.