Duplicates imported from iphone?

Started by frlindla, July 20, 2021, 11:39:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frlindla

When I import photos from my iphone, there are two photos of each. Like this: IMG_3674 and IMG_E3674. The two are identical in the way they look. Anyone seen this before? I am not sure what is happening. I guess I can delete one of them. But there are many, so I have to try a search to find all containing "E"?

Mario

I cannot help you there. I don't use Apple stuff. But Apple does many strange things, so...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

JohnZeman

My cell phone is an iPhone XR and I have never seen this happen.

What is the format of the two files?  Are they both JPGs?  Is one image a raw and the other a JPG?  If so it sounds like the app you're taking your iPhone photos with may be creating the duplicates.

FWIW I use the ProCamera app to take my cell phone photos (DNG format) and on my PC I use the PhotoSync app to wirelessly download photos from my iPhone to the PC.

I download them to a special temporary folder not in my IMatch database so I can first do some initial culling with FastRawViewer.  FastRawViewer then sends the keepers to my IMatch database so if there were any duplicates I'd find them before they went to IMatch.

frlindla

thrinn

I do not have Apple hardware either, but this looks as if your IPhone provides the "original" JPG (which is a contradiction in itself - maybe on should say "JPG processed with standard settings") and an additional JPG which has been processed differently. I could imagine that this might happen if you choose some kind of "scene" mode. For other systems I would look for an option to switch this on or off, but Apple is known to shield users from having to make too much choices.

Mind, I am only guessing here. Maybe try to shoot a photo in "standard" mode and another one in a scene mode like Portrait to check if it makes any difference.
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

frlindla

Thank you all:) I will check this an report if I find a setting on my phone or other explainations:)

vsammy

Hi,

If you edit your original photo within the fotos app (I.e. light, cooler, saturation, magic Autofunktions,...) iOS generates a new jpg with the ,,E" in front of the imagenumberand leaves the of the original file untouched.

Vsammy