Browsing / searching photos with "lowest common denominator" tools

Started by birdbrain, May 20, 2021, 09:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

birdbrain

Background:

I plan to create / manage metadata for family photos, then "publish" then for family members...on thumb drives, etc.

They will only browse & search, presumably using very basic tools like Windows Explorer or the iOS Photo app...not sophisticated tools like IMatch, Lightroom, etc.  Not ideal, but it's the real world.

Issue:

It seems Windows Explorer only searches limited fields in JPGs such as filename, title, dates, and keywords (a.k.a, "tags" in Windows). I assume it ignores the embedded XMP and it is not "smart" enough to associate a sidecar with the JPG and use it.

For names, locations, and events, my plan is to duplicate these in the keywords. I can also create meaningful titles composed of Event, Location and Year automatically with iMatch metadata templates, etc.

Alternatively I could simply enter names, events, locations as keywords.  But then I'm not taking advantage of IMatch features such as face recognition, geo-coding, etc.

Question:

I am confident IMatch has what I need to do the job (and 1000x more!), but is there a better way to go about this? Am I missing something?

Thank you,

Joe

Mario

Quoteot "smart" enough to associate a sidecar with the JPG and use it.

When you edit metadata in IMatch, it stores the data in the XMP record embedded in the JPG file itself. JPEG files must use embedded XMP data, not sidecar files.
And Explorer then pulls from the embedded XMP record whatever it supports. Or it looks at EXIF or GPS or IPTC native. Not sure. Never seen this properly documented by MS.
MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux all behave different and support more metadata more or less well.

You can use the Batch Processor in IMatch to export files. You can control which (or if) metadata is copied to the output file.
And with the Custom Metadata feature you can fill metadata tags (like keywords or title) from variables, which allows you to pull data from keywords, people, Attributes and whatnot and stuff them into a metadata tag supported by all your target platforms.

Or, just export the files in the Batch Processor, with some extra space below the image where you then let the BP render all the information you want to show your friends and family. No external tool needed, all the data is visible directly on the image.

Another powerful feature often used for such purposes is IMatch Design & Print. Produce a nice photo book, show all the metadata you want to show for each image, print to a PDF and send this to your family. PDF files can be opened everywhere, always look the same etc.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

PandDLong

I am in similar situation and the capability to "publish" the photos to family members who have no special tools was a key consideration in my evaluation of various cataloguing options.  I did select iMatch (obviously) and that flexibility that Mario lists was a key reason.

I am cataloguing in iMatch and using many of the features - face recognition, geo-coding, events, categories.  I am trying to do a fairly "clean" database in iMatch without doing duplicative work (eg. repeat the location data as keywords).   In my approach I am trying to take advantage of features/automation but keep it fairly simple.  As I am progressing, I am seeing more ideas for the future through using categories and other search/filter capabilities so I can take the work I have done and "publish" some focused topics  (eg. back-to-school photos) - this makes doing the cataloguing work in an iMatch-savvy way very worthwhile.

For publishing, I have two tracks that I intend to follow (same tools as Mario describes)

1. Use the batch processor to fill-up the keywords tag from the other metadata tags that Windows Explorer and other simple apps don't read (eg. location) and export those updated files.   Then the files can be put wherever to share.

2. Produce some "albums" using the Design & Print.   This was not in my initial plan but I have already used it to share some photos.

I haven't done #1 on a large scale yet just enough test cases to be comfortable that it will work when I need it.

As a side note, I made the decision to make a meaningful file name from the date and the Title I write (and I write the title with that in mind).  I run the renamer on batches of files and that new "date-title" name becomes the standard that I will also use on the files when I export and publish.

Good luck.

Michael

sinus

Quote from: PandDLong on May 21, 2021, 01:31:33 AM

As a side note, I made the decision to make a meaningful file name from the date and the Title I write (and I write the title with that in mind).  I run the renamer on batches of files and that new "date-title" name becomes the standard that I will also use on the files when I export and publish.

Good luck.

Michael

The own filename, used in the DB of IMatch, does mostly mean nothing to others.
Therefore your idea sounds good to me.

I use for this a single metadata-field, what I do not use for something else.
Because some clients demands for special filenames, I write also such filenames in this fields.
For privat use I can let fill out this field with variables.

Important for me is, that I can also search for this field in IMatch.
I use this filename only for export and does not hold files with this name in the DB, but I hold the name in the field.

So, if a client or a familiy members asks for a file, they usually give me a number or text from this file.
Therefore it is very easy for me, to find this file, even the filename is not the same.

And because IMatch is that flexibel, I can do this with one or two mouseclicks and I have several possibilities to change the filename.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

birdbrain

DAM is a journey and you have to envision your needs, evaluate the tool(s) and workflow, curse when you realize you need to go back and re-think, etc., etc.

So this is why it is helpful to have thought-provoking ideas like these up front.  Saves so much time!

Thank you to all!

Joe

sinus

Quote from: birdbrain on May 21, 2021, 07:25:51 PM
DAM is a journey and you have to envision your needs, evaluate the tool(s) and workflow, curse when you realize you need to go back and re-think, etc., etc.
Joe

really true!  :)
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus