EXIF Time Zone Preference - lost on write-back

Started by PandDLong, May 13, 2021, 01:06:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PandDLong

I have set the preferences in Metadata 2 for IPTC & EXIF Time Zones with the first blank and the EXIF Time Zone with a specific time zone.

When iMatch adds new pictures to the database, it works perfectly and I see the time zone show up correctly in the xmp\CreateDate tag.

When I do a metadata write-back, the time zone is lost and it reverts to a time-zone free timestamps. (the actual time listed does not change, but the time zone is stripped off)

The good news is that iMatch has many ways to solve problems.   The Time Wiz app works perfectly and it also populates the EXIF Offset Time Original & Digitized tags which is a nice extra.  But it is an extra step.

Is there an additional setting required to have the time zone added on import "stick"?

Michael

Mario

This is a historic setting and should only be used under very specific conditions (and only once, to fix broken stuff). It does not play well with MWG and many new cameras now write a time-zone, which is used by IMatch/ExifTool during import automatically (make sure you have enabled the use of the time-zone in Metadata 2).
I shall remove the old options now for IMatch 2021.

As outlined in the help, IMatch always fills the XMP time stamps during write-back from the XMP EXIF timestamps (which you see in the Metadata Panel).
Make sure these time stamps are correct and have the desired time-zone. Don't manipulate native EXIF timestamps or time-zones directly.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

PandDLong

Okay - good to know.   Time Wiz is the way to go add time zone information if missing from the camera.

Michael