Add all Icons from the File-view to the Rating, Label & Collection-Filter

Started by voronwe, April 06, 2021, 10:46:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

voronwe

Hi

In the File-Window, there are several Icons for a file:
https://www.photools.com/help/imatch/#fw_cols.htm

But only some of them are shown in the Rating,Label & Collection-Filter.

The following are missing:
- Read-only
- Problem
- Pending Write-back
- File has transformations
- File has Annotations
- File has GPS
- Protected file

Please add those filters, because it is quite helpful to search for it (especially for the fast detection of problems)

Thanks

ubacher

Your request makes it clear that file collections that are shown in the COLLECTIONS view should
- for reasons of consistency - also show up in the filter tab for collections.

What you are missing can be found under the File Properties Tab and some under the category tree
Imatch workflow categories

voronwe

Quote from: ubacher on April 06, 2021, 04:33:05 PM
Your request makes it clear that file collections that are shown in the COLLECTIONS view should
- for reasons of consistency - also show up in the filter tab for collections.

What you are missing can be found under the File Properties Tab and some under the category tree
Imatch workflow categories

In the File-Properties I see only the "Read-only" one, the others I can not find not even in the Categroy-View.

My request is based on - as you said - consistency, but also user-friendlyness:
As a user I want to have them all in one place and with the same icons, because there I can make the connection without thinking about it

Mario

I didn't want to flood this control with rarely used collections. There is only so much screen estate, and collections like problem or transformations or read-only are rarely used.

You can always use the Collection Filter to access all available collections easily.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

voronwe

Quote from: Mario on April 26, 2021, 03:55:07 PM
I didn't want to flood this control with rarely used collections. There is only so much screen estate, and collections like problem or transformations or read-only are rarely used.

You can always use the Collection Filter to access all available collections easily.

Hi Mario
For the Collections

I could see find the GPS-Flag there

The collections a good for finding all Images in the Database, but:
The normal Use-case for me is the following: I'm in a folder and I like to see whether everything is ok with this specific folder. How can I find out fast which files in a folder have e.g. an annotation and (even more important) which not.

In the collection I see all files, but I want to check only a very specific parts of the DB. How to handle that in a easy way. Clicking an icon in the Rating filter seems to be the easiest way for me.

And, as I pointed out, it is about consistency for the user: As a user I ask why are not all icons there?

I'm asking not for a big thing, only for 7 icons which could make life easier and make the rating window consistent with the file view (Please see the attached picture)

I do not see this as flooding the control, I see this as a way to avoid confusion for the user.

Mario

Another user could argue why not integrating all filters available in the File Properties filter into this control, too? Just another bunch of icons. Or add all relations as icons...
Many users work on 1920x1080 or 1920x1280 monitors.

Since there is no collection for files which contain GPS data, I cannot add this to this filter. Or completely rework this filter panel to also perform dynamic database queries in addition to lookup collection contents.

I'm not adverse to add more features to the filter panel. But I need to be able to manage it technically, make it work for all users, etc. And, I have a complete overhaul of the Filter Panel on my mid-term to-do list anyways.
Too much has been added over the years here and there, and this breaks the general flow and UI.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

voronwe

Hi Marion

Ok, after going more detailed through the filters in the Filiter-Pannel, I think I can make a workaround for most of the cases. Only the following questions are missing:
necessary
1) I did not find a way so far to make a filter for Images with GPS/ Images without GPS. Is there a way to filter for it (not necessarily with Kollektions, just somehow).

2) In the collection-filter, (see attached picture) it is not possible to select full collections. As it make sense for most of them (e.g. Rating, where you can also select "without Rating"), there is a problem for "Anmerkungen", because there there is nothing like "Without".
Also it is confusing, that all Levels in the tree have the same "Selecting box" in front of it, because in this case you want to select something which is not selectable and this is confusing.

I know it is stated it the Documentation:
"You can filter on the individual collections (e.g. a specific rating or a specific relation master), but not on entire collection hierarchies. If you try to change the check box for one of the non-selectable items, IMatch plays a beep sound."

But first of all my system does not play a sound and second as a User I do not want to go into the documentation if something unexpected happens.

3) There is a button right to the "OR". What is this button good for? I could not find any explanation. A Tool-Tip would be helpful.

That are just my points from a usability point of view.

Mario

1. Sure. Checkout the DYK topic Finding Files Without Keywords, Titles, Headlines, GPS Data, ... which explains how to easily find files without values.
Store the filter under "No GPS data" and you can recall it anytime.

Or, just use the standard No GPS Data category, available under IMatch Standard Categories in the Category View or also in the Category Filter.

You can also make up your own category, e.g. when you often need to find files without GPS data and no annotations or whatever.

2. This behavior is because how collections works.

You can find files without face annotations using the People Filter, if this is what you want to do. To find files without another specific annotation type, use the annotation collections or create a category which combines the annotation types/collections you always need to check for. Then use this category to see these files. Or use it to filter files in a folder, drive, category, ...

A button right to OR where?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

voronwe

Hi Mario and thanks for the answer, but now comes the tricky part

Quote from: Mario on April 27, 2021, 02:22:46 PM
1. Sure. Checkout the DYK topic Finding Files Without Keywords, Titles, Headlines, GPS Data, ... which explains how to easily find files without values.
Store the filter under "No GPS data" and you can recall it anytime.

How to find this?  I found an Entry "Help" -> "Did you know", but nothing happens when pressing it. Also when in "View" - > "Panels" I can switch on/off the "Did you know"-Panel without any effect.

Or, just use the standard No GPS Data category, available under IMatch Standard Categories in the Category View or also in the Category Filter.

Same here: I do not have such a thing like "Standard Categories" in the Category-View (and I could not find anything about it in the help under https://www.photools.com/help/imatch/#cat_basics.htm). There are only "Beispielkategorien, but I could not find a "No GPS Data category".
This DB is rather old, allready from IMatch 3.6

2. This behavior is because how collections works.
I just wanted to point out that this is confusing for the use, especially with the same icon. Why not use a different icon when a upper collection is not selectable? There is no optical message which gives the information that selecting the collection is not possible. And many people have switched off Windows Sound, because in 90% of the cases it is annoying and comes anyway with an optical warning.

A button right to OR where?

See the attachment please

Mario

1. The 'Did You Know?'' App (Just searched for did in the Help, first result).
Also explained in IMatch Workflow Categories

2. This button resets the selection. It has a tooltip saying so (and the typical reset icon). Not sure why Windows is not showing it.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

voronwe

Quote from: Mario on April 27, 2021, 06:58:12 PM
1. The 'Did You Know?'' App (Just searched for did in the Help, first result).
Also explained in IMatch Workflow Categories

I found this help-page allready. I have IMach on 2 PCs. Interestingwise, on one of them the DYK-App did not open (as I explained allready), on the second one, it opens.

But here I have still the problem with the Category-View (see attached file)
I have no "Workflow category". Maybe it was deleted at some time or it was not there in 3.6. Is there a way to restore this?

Mario

Reinstall IMatch on the machine where it does not work. Check the IMatch log file (log file) and the app output panel for app-related problems and warning messages.

The standard IMatch categories were introduced a couple of years ago and are automatically imported when new databases are generated.
I've explained in the release notes at the time how to import the new categories into your database if you want to have them.

Just import them via the Category import. The category schemas are in the standard presets folder (C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatch6\Presets) and named workflow-en.imcsx (English), workflow-de.imcsx (Deutsch) and workflow-nl.imcsx (Dutch).

If you have never imported categories, start with Importing & Exporting Categories
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

voronwe

Quote from: Mario on April 27, 2021, 08:07:04 PM

Just import them via the Category import. The category schemas are in the standard presets folder (C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatch6\Presets) and named workflow-en.imcsx (English), workflow-de.imcsx (Deutsch) and workflow-nl.imcsx (Dutch).

If you have never imported categories, start with Importing & Exporting Categories

It works, as I needed it.

Thank you very very much