F... Virus Checkers

Started by Mario, February 10, 2021, 08:47:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mario

Over the past two weeks I've got a number of bug reports / service requests.
In all cases, IMatch reported that the exiftool executable in the IMatch Program Files folder was missing.

In all cases the anti-virus software deleted the executable or moved it into quarantine - but without informing the user!
Deleting critical files from your hard disk without telling you is basically what many computer viruses do...

I wonder why virus checkers do not inform users (anymore).
Like "Hey, I've just moved the file bla from the c:\program files\photools.com\IMatch folder into the quarantine folder at abc, because I think it contains a virus".
At least the user would then know why IMatch is no longer working (IMatch displays a message in this case, mind!).

Do the anti-virus vendors think that this would somehow confuse or upset the user?
Are 'normal' users these days incapable of dealing with this and thus are kept in the dark?
I for sure want to know if my anti-virus software is damaging software installations by removing important executable files or DLLs.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Carlo Didier

Totally agree. Such a stealth behaviour is unacceptable.

Mario

I've discussed this with a couple of fine folks over some cocktails at a CeBit computer fair a couple of years ago.

We agreed that the "older" generation (born, say, in the last sixties or seventies) were raised with computers which actually required you to know what you are doing.
Getting a PC to work in the 80th and early 90th was an achievement.
I'm old enough to recall that adding a network card and making it work could take a day or more! And getting a printer to work could cause headaches and bad digestion for a week...

Today, computers are like the "old day" TV's. Turn it on and it does the job.
(Second thoughts Mario adding: "Yeah, well. Nowadays connecting a TV and a Hi-Fi receiver can bring a grown (wo)man to tears because of all the HDMI incompatibility and DRM mess").

"Dumbing Down" is an industry credo, in large parts originating from Apple. Apple makes things simple to use by removing options and more complex features - which could cause unduly stress on their users.
The standard Apple speech for this is: "If our device/software does not have/do this, you don't need it".
And many people are happy with that.
Most people hate complex.
I do, too!

Probably this is why virus checkers these days silently remove files and don't bother users by informing them about it.
On the other hand, most anti-virus software is super-happy to tell users about how many 'threads' they have prevented, how many files/emails they have scanned and how much better the the new fee-based upgrade will be.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Carlo Didier

Quote from: Mario on February 10, 2021, 09:33:41 PM
(Second thoughts Mario adding: "Yeah, well. Nowadays connecting a TV and a Hi-Fi receiver can bring a grown (wo)man to tears because of all the HDMI incompatibility and DRM mess").
Correction: Nowadays, turning on a TV is actually booting a computer  ;D

Mario

Quote from: Carlo Didier on February 10, 2021, 09:43:51 PM
Correction: Nowadays, turning on a TV is actually booting a computer  ;D
But, with the same issues as on smart phones these days...
Very little control by the user. Usually, apps and TV OS calling home, recording and uploading every thing you do, which channels you watch, with videos you play, when you fall asleep in front of the TV, etc.
And, sometimes, even displaying advertisements on your TV! Ads you cannot avoid, right there on the start screen (This means you, Samsung).
And Samsung even brags about it, telling advertising clients that the ads on the home screen cannot be disabled by the user - the user who bought the TV for money!.
Just sad. We are using control over our PCs, smart phones, TVs, cars, ...
I'm not happy about this.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

herman

I am afraid that in a couple of years we may experience similar annoyances in our cars.
Something like "Your trip will continue after a message from our sponsor"  :o
Enjoy!

Herman.

Carlo Didier

Quote from: herman on February 11, 2021, 06:42:01 AMSomething like "Your trip will continue after a message from our sponsor"  :o
:D :D :D

Mario

Or the old joke comes finally true: "Airbag.exe experienced a problem and needs to restart"...  ;)
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator